• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing Evil

Hussar

Legend
DrunkonDuty said:
So, Hussar, could you do me a favour if it's not a hassle? Ask your players if they felt any difference in the game for playing Evil. I'm curious to know. I shall ask my mates the same

Sure, no worries.

It did come up during the campaign to be honest. There were a couple of times, while kibbitzing about the campaign, that the alignment thing got batted around a bit.

Maybe that's the issue. I was simply running the wrong adventures for this. The Savage Tide does come with side bars on how to turn it into an evil campaign, but, honestly, I don't think we did it justice.

It was the comment from my players that got me thinking about this. It just seemed that most of the time the campaign didn't really matter which alignment the PC's took. Maybe its just the nature of the campaign.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I find that a lot of the time the PCs are just gonna do what they're gonna do, be it good, evil, or something else; entirely based on the situation at the time. Writing an alignment on the character sheet is a wasted effort 90% of the time...

In my current game, two of the players have their (supposedly good) characters routinely try to slay anyone who might otherwise become a captive, because they haven't got the patience to go through the motions of questioning said captive(s) and then arranging for their upkeep. The other two players, knowing the wisdom of taking captives and plying them for information, are often at loggerheads with the first two. Result: lots of in-character arguments and fistfights, and an intermittent trail of dead ex-opponents whose last act was to surrender.

Meanwhile, one of the take-captives characters is by profession an ex-slaver, and still maintains her contacts in the business... Her tag line when it comes to such things is "Stop taking prisoners and start taking inventory!"

Did these guys intentionally set out to play an evil party? No. And the greater deeds they accomplish are usually goodly enough. Just don't ever look too closely at the means used to achieve such goals... :)

I guess what I'm saying is that to me there's no point in bothering to make a distinction between a good campaign and an evil campaign going in, 'cause the players are going to make it into whatever they want anyway. Just drop the puck and let things play out however they naturally will.

Lan-"the richest character in the party has the biggest target on his back"-efan

Herobizkit

Adventurer
It's always been my opinion that the D&D alignments as is really discourage players from being Evil. By that toke, I recommend everyone who hates D&D alignment to investigate the alignment descriptions found in Palladium's RPG line. They're all there, all nine of them, but explained in detail.

Now, in regards to D&D, I believe the law-chaos and good-evil axes can be explained as the "how" and "why" a character accomplishes a given task.

Given the princess scenario above:
a) a Lawful Good character will opt to rescue the princess because it's the right thing to do; she is held against her will by a (likely) Evil tyrant and Good people oppose Evil when able. The LG character may hire a crack team of professionals to lead, march up to the gates, break them down, and rescue the princess and any other slaves s/he may find, destroying altars to dark gods and ruining wizard labs as they go, in the name of King and country.

b) A Neutral Evil character is primarily concerned with his/her own well-being. The King hires this character and the character accepts out of personal gain (money). The NE character then weights risk vs reward, and know that he likely can't do it alone and recruits a crack team of professionals to assist him. The NE agrees that any valuable goods found will be distributed equally among the troops but he reserves the right to have "first dibs". The NE will assess all possible dangers and conclude that a clandestine entrance would be preferable but may not be possible. He leads his troops to the front door, tries and fails to open the gate quietly, and directs the goons to enter. He fights alongside them when necessary, but if things look too bad, he's not against a tactical retreat, leaving the goons behind to get slaughtered. The NE realizes that hiring another band will be too costly, so he returns to the city, swipes a signet ring from a local lord, and returns to the King explaining that the princess is dead. He collects his reward, and goes on his merry way.

c) A CE character will do whatever will serve him best. He agrees to rescue the princess, offers the promise of riches to anyone who will join him, and hires a crack team of professionals to join him. He marches up to the castle gates, kicks them down, and directs the goons to enter. He leads from the front, reveling in the wanton destruction and murder of the opposition. If one of the goons goes down, he helps him recover for sake of appearances. Once the princess is recovered, he decides that the tower is quite defensible and the princess isn't really going anywhere, so he decides to keep her around for a while and perhaps sire an illegitimate son or two. He tells the princess to keep the source of her child a secret or there will be consequences. To emphasize his point, he kills one of his hired goons and points out how easy it was to get to her in the first place. As time rolls on, the CE arrives at court, announcing his desire to wed the princess. The princess agrees out of fear for her life, and the web of deceit begins to spin inside the castle walls, ensuring that the CE will eventually earn the throne.

This got a little long... but I guess my over-exaggerated point is, alignment is only a descriptor of how and why a person will act in a given situation. An Evil campaign generally means that the PC's will prosper at any cost, and that they will be willing to take shortcuts and step on the toes/lob off the heads of anyone who opposes their goals.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads