D&D 5E Playing through a Sample Stat Draft (COMPLETED!)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I’m really glad there’s going to be a second round, because I feel like I’m still figuring out how this works.

This is why I am doing this. After over a decade of talking up this method and only having old long threads with formatting errors to point to, I thought it'd give people a chance to see it or participate first hand and decide how they might adapt it to their own game.

Heck, if I make a next issue of my zine, maybe the focus will be character creation and I will tidy up these rules and examples (and some options) for it.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
This is why I am doing this. After over a decade of talking up this method and only having old long threads with formatting errors to point to, I thought it'd give people a chance to see it or participate first hand and decide how they might adapt it to their own game.

Heck, if I make a next issue of my zine, maybe the focus will be character creation and I will tidy up these rules and examples (and some options) for it.
I'm curious, when you do it IRL how do you keep track of the available scores? Right now, I'm leaning towards setting up a bunch of index cards on a white board or something.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I'm curious, when you do it IRL how do you keep track of the available scores? Right now, I'm leaning towards setting up a bunch of index cards on a white board or something.

I use a cork board and push pins, but same basic premise. I cut 4x6 index cards into 8 slips each and then use different colored sharpies for each ability - when a score is picked I hand it to the player, so at the end they have two little stacks of their stats. They then pick one stack and hand back the other and I compile the sets for the replacement pool.

I wish I had taken a picture of the last time I did it. DOH!

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Anything big enough the players could see the availabilities would probably work. Like, squares on a whiteboard, index cards on a corkboard (take them down as they're chosen), a spreadsheed on a big monitor (or a shared screen online).

Of course, @el-remmen may have a more specific answer.

EDIT: AND LO THE NINJA

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I use a cork board and push pins, but same basic premise. I cut 4x6 index cards into 8 slips each and then use different colored sharpies for each ability - when a score is picked I hand it to the player, so at the end they have two little stacks of their stats. They then pick one stack and hand back the other and I compile the sets for the replacement pool.

I wish I had taken a picture of the last time I did it. DOH!
Yea, I wanted to give them something tangible to allow trades more easily. The cork board makes a lot of sense.

Remove ads