D&D 5E Playing through a Sample Stat Draft (COMPLETED!)

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
In spite of the numerical near-equivalence, I really think my first set would be more playable--as some sort of cleric, probably. That second set has a reasonable INT but really nothing else worth writing home about.

I'd be curious to see what sort of party might come out of a table sitting down and going through this. Like, for the reasons that came up in-thread, for a party doing it all of a piece to have better luck staying out of each other's way and stuff.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
@Charlaquin:
Set One: STR 10 DEX 16 CON 12 INT 12 WIS 12 CHA 11 - Total: 73 (+6)
Set Two: STR 11 DEX 9 WLD 11 INT 14 WIS 16 CHA 11 - Total: 72 (+4)
These worked out pretty great for me. As mentioned earlier, I would use the floating ASIs to give set one +2 Dex and +1 Cha and take variant human for Lucky and keep it as a very versatile backup character. Set 2, I would use the floating bonuses to put +1 each in Str, Dex, and Cha, and again take variant human for Resilient (Constitution). Would make for a great cleric or druid.

I definitely liked the second set better. I’m a min/maxer, so I found the high highs and low lows more fun than a bunch of middling scores.

I will say, I think this would make a really fun session 0 activity. Similar vibes to a “rolling party,” but you’re all sort of working together to assemble the whole party’s stats instead of everyone just making their own.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, a fun exercise for a session zero and you don't wind up with all the same six scores, which I find happens 90% of the time (in differing order, of course) when we play these days (I haven't rolled abilities in years) which is the one drawback I can think to point-buy or arrays. So, that's neat. It's not like any of the results suck, or are too great, compared to the others. Works out pretty well!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'd make my halfling ranger out of my second set. But I kinda like the dwarf from the first set, too... they're just different characters. I'd play either.

I had a plan with the first set, my second was more organic. I would be happy to play the elven Ftr/MU I had in mind to begin with. I think, however, I am intrigued by a playing a strong Constitution sorcerer. He would probably be human, and perhaps use ASIs and feats to have more endurance the would be expected from an otherwise fragile class. Outdoorsy-type.

This was definitely fun, and I agree with it being an interesting way to roll up characters.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I posted a thread for my draft, if anyone wants to take a look.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
This reminds me of a thing I saw online years ago, but I can't remember where. In that version, the pre-rolled stats were lined up on a grid, and players would take turns "drafting" a whole row or column at a time. Does anyone remember seeing that method?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
This reminds me of a thing I saw online years ago, but I can't remember where. In that version, the pre-rolled stats were lined up on a grid, and players would take turns "drafting" a whole row or column at a time. Does anyone remember seeing that method?
I'd have to see that to understand how it works - but I am interested in all variations on stat drafting.

@Swarmkeeper:
Set One: STR 8 DEX 13 WLD 11 INT 15 WIS 11 CHA 9 - Total: 67 (+1)
Set Two: STR 9 DEX 12 CON 16 INT 10 WIS 10 CHA 14 - Total: 70 (+5)

I am also curious for people's takes on the disparities in the stat sets.
That was good fun @el-remmen!

I liked the 2nd stat set better as it felt like we all had a chance to land multiple 14-16s which mirrors point buy well or rolling in that it gives that slight giddiness of rolling high-ish. Also, I had a better handle on the rules (looking at you, picked-too-soon-STR 8!)

That said, I believe I’m very much able to build a solid 1st level character with either draft result. First set: non-human floating ASI with +1 each to Dex, Con, and either Int for a Wizard or Wis for a Rogue. Second set: +2 to Cha and +1 wherever else provides a solid Sorcerer or maybe a Warlock or even a passable Bard.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases