Playstation 3

Agamon

Adventurer
Wow. I'm not much of a console guy, and I've been in the Xbox camp of late, but the PS3 stuff I'm seeing from E3 is totally amazing and I think it flat out beats the 360 left, right and center. There's a rumor it's going to cost $500. That's a bit nuts, but then again, looking at what it offers, it might not be be...

driver8

First Post
Well I wouldnt get too excited about the demos you see from E3 so far until its straightened out what is game footage and what is pre rendered. Sony has a way of really touting its amazing engine then the game stuff is less than what they advertsied.

That said, the hardware looks amazing and it seems to be the most powerful of the next gen.. The party lines so far seem to be - Sony looks to be touting its graphics and hardware as the most powerful of the next gen, MS online play, wirelessness and community ( as well as xbox being the entertainment hub), and Revolution backwards compatibility and designer friendliness.

You know what's got me interested about the PS3? I don't care about the graphics/etc/etc, I know those are going to be great on ALL the system and I'm not a tech guy anyway.

Seven controller ports.

Seven.

An odd number, for one...so I'm curious about that...but...seven.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I agree that it beats the 360 ... on paper, but Sony has a history of exaggerating what its hardware can do. And I think it'll be a while before publishers are able to fully utilize the power of either console.

Despite that, the PS3 info releases have almost convinced me to wait until both consoles are out before I make my nextgen console choice. When that happens, reviews, games, and price will make the decision for me.

If the PS3 is >$100 more than the 360, I'll probably go with Microsoft. Plus I enjoy online play so Sony will have to prove that they can at least match the functionality of Live.

As for the other features, I can't see needing more than 4 controllers, so Sony's 7 isn't really needed. Sony's support of 1080p isn't that important to me since I can't afford a TV that powerful; also Microsoft has been clearer in stating that every XBox360 release will support HD; Sony's said that they aren't that focused on HD, instead offering vague promises about great graphics. So while the console can support super HiDef, I wonder if all of the games will support those resolutions.

RE the controller: I'd have to hold both, but thus far I gotta say, advantage MS.

Finally, RE the drive... if blue-ray becomes the mainstream HD format for next-generation DVD, then Sony will have a big advantage here. But I have to think that this will be a big issue in the price, which as I noted will have an effect on my final decision.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I would be shocked if it costs $500. That just comes from a guy in Japan who made it up.

The PSP was rumored to be $350 (from the same basic source, some guy in the Japanese press pulling a number from out of nowhere), but in Japan it turned out to be only about half that. (It's higher in the US because of the "Value" pack they make you buy). (Do a search for PSP rumor and you'll see what I mean)

Jeremy

Explorer
I have both a PS2 and Xbox. I prefer the PS2 catalog but prefer the Xbox if it is out on both due to the better graphics.

If the PS3 can take their time getting to market and have both the graphics and the Sony Zaibatsu's library, I'll be a happy monkey.

Though I'll probably end up with both anyways. Very nice facial emotion footage. We'll see what they can do with all the development time they've got left.

Arnwyn

First Post
Looks impressive, but it's all a bunch of pre-release hokey. No one knows what any of these new consoles are going to do with games until right before the console's release.

For me, it's all about the game library. I'll (first) go wherever the RPGs are (notably Square-Enix), but I'll get all the consoles eventually.

Captain Tagon

First Post
arnwyn said:
Looks impressive, but it's all a bunch of pre-release hokey. No one knows what any of these new consoles are going to do with games until right before the console's release.

For me, it's all about the game library. I'll (first) go wherever the RPGs are (notably Square-Enix), but I'll get all the consoles eventually.

Yeah, but the only console that has anything close to what I'd call RPGs is the XBox. Sure the Final Fantasy games are fun, but calling them RPGs makes RPGer maker's hearts hurt.

Remove ads