Pathfinder 2E Playtest Four New Pathfinder 2E Classes

You can now download and playtest the investigator, oracle, swashbuckler, and witch classes, all slated for July's Advanced Player's Guide. The playlets runs for just under a month, until Dember 2nd, 2019.

You can now download and playtest the investigator, oracle, swashbuckler, and witch classes, all slated for July's Advanced Player's Guide. The playlets runs for just under a month, until Dember 2nd, 2019.

110619_ACGPlaytest_500.jpg

• The investigator is a savvy, street-smart character who takes cases to uncover clues and solve mysteries. This class ties to parts of the game that aren’t covered in depth in the Core Rulebook, so the playtest will see if their approach to solving mysteries is satisfying, while keeping the rules for the game as a whole flexible.
  • The oracle commands divine powers by drawing from universal concepts, casting powerful revelation spells that take a toll on their body and manifest as a double-edged curse. We want to make sure the curse effects are fun and engaging without disrupting the balance of the class compared to other characters. For the playtest, we’ve selected only a subset of mysteries, but there will be more in the final version.
  • The swashbuckler is the flamboyant daredevil of the battlefield, tumbling through foes and entering a heightened state to deliver devastating finishing blows. We’ll be testing a system that encourages them to gain panache, a state of bombastic flair that lets them use more powerful abilities. The playtest version emphasizes new rules specific to the class so that we can playtest those thoroughly, but the final version might pick up some of the fighter’s weapon feats suited to dueling.
  • The witch serves a mysterious patron entity, casting spells and hexes learned through a powerful familiar. This is the most flexible spellcasting class we’ve introduced, since it allows you to build your own path by selecting not only feats, but also lessons from your patron. We want to make sure those options work well both narratively and mechanically across all three of the spellcasting traditions the witch can gain access to.
There's a survey which open on Tuesday, November 12th.

For the oracle I suggest to add the curses: accursed, clouded vision, cool-blooded, covetous, demonic, elemental imbalance, ghoul, hellbound, hive, infested, lich, lycanthropy, pranked, putrid, reclusive, site-bound better for nPCs, tongues, toxic blood, vampirism, wasting and wrecking mysticism. There aren't only annoying flaws or penalty but a good DM, or writer/scripter/author can use them to add interesting elements to the story. In the past I have thought about a divine spellcaster class whose main ability score would a new one: spirit, with the double sense of divine grace, luck, fate, karma, guardian angel but also faith and hope, like spiritual resistance against hostile paranormal effects.

For the investigator I would use my house rule of the acuity (perception and astuteness) as added ability score.
In the past I have missed swashbuckler as a martial adept class, with ki maneuvers (Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, or Path of War by Dreamscarred Press), but this can be fixed with archetypes.

I don't like classes about buffer-nerfer effects but I would rather buff-breakers (for example when an outsider enemy lose immunity or resistance). Some time I have imagined warlocks or witches with an archetype or subclass about vestige pact magic, something like a softer version of advanced class, but you could change it when you want, like wearing a suit or dress.

Sunsword

Adventurer
I will only comment on the stores I run in KY. Starfinder is outselling PF2 for us. We turn Starfinder about once a month. PF2 we turn about 1 every six weeks.

Full disclosure: I'm sure many people are subscribing to Paizo and I'm sure that helps their bottom line.

The customers who did preorder from me (2) love it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I will only comment on the stores I run in KY. Starfinder is outselling PF2 for us. We turn Starfinder about once a month. PF2 we turn about 1 every six weeks.

Full disclosure: I'm sure many people are subscribing to Paizo and I'm sure that helps their bottom line.

The customers who did preorder from me (2) love it.

How does that relate to other RPGs, if I may ask?

Remove ads

Remove ads