• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Playtested dat 5e at Gencon.

Danzauker

Adventurer
I'd like cantrips to be at will but require you to wield a wand, orb or whatever "implement" is defined in 4E.

Maybe a little Harry Potterish, but I think it makes sense that since you don't have to prepare them like other spells you need some other focus.

That would put them on par with weapons (at will use but lock your hand), plus it gives an in story way of not having laser shhoting peopla around in a tavern.

"Wanna come in? Leave your wands and swords at the entrance".

keterys

First Post
The very first line in how to play for cantrips..."cantrips are spells...". They are also listed in the spell list for a Mage (or whichever caster) and the argument they are not "0" level spells and they must be off a "level" the caster can cast is a little weak ..

Now, I think the big red flag is creating scrolls with cantrips take 0 time, cost zero resources (infinitely adding 0 = 0) means two mages in a party de facto know each others cantrips and can cast them at will (effectively)
Cantrips are not level 0 spells (unless the rules actually say they are). Ergo, there's no problem caused with the formula and this entire statement is null.

So, no big red flag. :)

Warbringer

Explorer
Cantrips are not level 0 spells (unless the rules actually say they are). Ergo, there's no problem caused with the formula and this entire statement is null.

So, no big red flag. :)

Ok, but the rules clearly state they are spells, so I guess spells without a level...

Good to see rules lawyering alive and well in Next :)

keterys

First Post
Ok, but the rules clearly state they are spells, so I guess spells without a level...

Good to see rules lawyering alive and well in Next :)
Eh, when people try to make up rules that allow infinite free scrolls, I think it's reasonable to say "Nah, you're wrong. Proceed" :)

Remove ads