• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playtesting?

mhensley

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
:D

I do hope that the selection isn't truly 100% random or else the results will be of about that caliber.

How could it be anything other than an almost completely random selection? When you sign up for an account, they only ask you-

1. your birthdate
2. your timezone
3. what wotc games you play

They know your age, your very general location, and if you like D&D. So they will probably do a query of their users something like this-

Age >= 18 and
Timezone = Eastern, Central, Mountain, or Pacific and
Games Played = D&D

They'll pick a number of those accounts randomly and send them an email asking if they would like to playtest and if they have a group to do it with. Those that answer yes will get an NDA to sign. After the signed NDA is received back, they will send them a playtest packet.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
mhensley said:
How could it be anything other than an almost completely random selection? When you sign up for an account, they only ask you-

1. your birthdate
2. your timezone
3. what wotc games you play

They know your age, your very general location, and if you like D&D. So they will probably do a query of their users something like this-

Age >= 18 and
Timezone = Eastern, Central, Mountain, or Pacific and
Games Played = D&D

They'll pick a number of those accounts randomly and send them an email asking if they would like to playtest and if they have a group to do it with. Those that answer yes will get an NDA to sign. After the signed NDA is received back, they will send them a playtest packet.

Or they could spend an hour going through threads and picking posters who seem like good candidates.
They could start with the "playtesting" thread on the "4e Rules" board where people have already stated they've got groups ready and willing to test.

Last edited:

BlackMoria

First Post
Sounds like a last minute change in methodology.

A random playtest runs counter to what David Noonan stated in his blog - namely, sign up for DnD Insider, get a group together, and watch DnD Insider for the playtest announcement.

I don't believe David Noonan was deliberately trying to mislead us on that comment, which means somebody has made a last minute change in selection methodology.

That sucks. :(

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I would hate to see a random selection method. This game is supposed to kick ass, and thus I of course want the BEST possible people to playtest it. Both critical and fanboyish, so long as they have a great deal of experience, intelligence and willingness to be critical at the right level. The best playtesters will be people who've published, or put something out there for the community, who've played a wealth of different games and are familiar with different genres of fantasy literature, film and such, and who can show they are able to put the time and commitment into the testing, rather than just playing through a game with the new rules and reporting back now and then.

From my point of view, I'd like to think there was a screening process. Even if it was a week long popularity contest on their fora, with each prospective candidate getting a chance to sell themselves. I WANT to have the chance to sell myself and my group to WotC, I really think I can offer something, and I know that almost everyone wants to playtest, but again, it should be the BEST people that do it, for the sake of the game. Even if that's not me!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Actually I think that it would be good to have a diverse sample of people doing the playrtesting... the game has to work also for the casual gamer and not only for the hardcore "professional".

DonTadow

First Post
Ruavel said:
Who...? ;)

anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, hopefully the application process (whatever it may be) will commence for the non-RPGA playtesters soon. Even if it's just to put hopefuls, like me, out of their misery...

with one group done, it can't be too far off now... :D
I hope so too. Is the RPGA really the people who should have been playtesting this thing first. I usually see rpg modules as the most undungeons and dragons things about the game. Straight hack and slashes with no real substance to the stories. Can't wait for the real players to get a crack at it.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Nikosandros said:
Actually I think that it would be good to have a diverse sample of people doing the playrtesting... the game has to work also for the casual gamer and not only for the hardcore "professional".

Honestly, being a prolific forum poster doesn't automatically translate into being part of a good playtest group.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads