• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Please Help with 3.5 Spring Attack Feat.

Nail

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok so it's only one attack...I'll live with that...BUT ?

Camarath said:
Sorry, I missed the S at the end of attack. I edited it so it should be correct now.
No worries; typos happen to me too...your intent, at least, was correct. :)

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok so it's only one attack...I'll live with that...BUT ?

Nail said:

Monks are probably the only class that can use Spring Attack effectively. No one else has the necessary movement rate.

The barbarian's fast movement lets them benefit from spring attack. Remember the spring attack ability from Unearthed Arcana?

I always thought that a centaur with spring attack and a reach weapon would be pretty neat.

-z

FluidDragon

First Post
Spring Attack, Improved trip, Spiked Chain (10' reach), Combat reflexes is good too.

Spiked chain is an AWESOME non monk, monk weapon. Monks get all the good feats that work well with spiked chains. Well worth spending a feat to learn. I'm starting a elvish monk using this tactic next week. Should be fun.

Though he's not going to bother with spring attack. I personally feel that this feat chain (spring attacK) undermines one of the monks best special abilities: Tonns of attacks. YMMV though

-FD

Xarls Taunzund

First Post
You preform a trip attack and then get an additional melee attack. Also the only feat you can take in place of Improved Trip as a Monk is Improved Disarm (also nice with spring attack).

Yes, and if you disarm someone while you are unarmed you can actually take their weapon from them. Run up, snatch, run away. Gotta love it. :D

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok so it's only one attack...I'll live with that...BUT ?

Nail said:

Monks are probably the only class that can use Spring Attack effectively. No one else has the necessary movement rate.

Spring attack is also a must-have feat for high level fighters, especially those with 2H weapons and when they are fighting big foes with lots of attacks. You can avoid their reach on the way in, and with a bit of luck (or some movement enhancing magic) avoid getting hit by a full attack by them (since their full attacks are often worse than your full attacks...)

Hackenslash

First Post
Some very cool stuff here...

Xarls Taunzund said:

Yes, and if you disarm someone while you are unarmed you can actually take their weapon from them. Run up, snatch, run away. Gotta love it. :D

Cool, does it say in the rules that you automatically grab their weapon when you disarm if you are unarmed ? This is great...I never new how cool Spring Attack could be...especially for a monk character. Thank you to everyone for their replys and advice. That's what I like about this community, you can always rely on good advice about DnD and gaming in general. And it always amazes me how much I don't know about a game I've been playing for 18 years. I am always learning or discovering something new. Thanks again... :)

MThibault

First Post
Can I emphasize that you don't take Attacks of Opportunity from the opponent you attack when you use Spring Attack.

Even if you don't spring away again, it is useful at any level for closing with creatures who have reach. Tumble is still better in that it works against multiple opponents, but Spring Attack is cheap for a fighter with tons of bonus feats and Mobility is a prerequisite so if there are two giants, you will have a +4 AC against the AoO from the other one.

I've seen this feat used a lot in my campaigns. Monks, Bards and Rogues use it to jump in and out of melee (and if you only move 30 feet, you can still end up 10 feet away, as long as the opponent doesn't have reach). Fighters (mostly) and the odd ranger or barbarian uses it to close with opponents with reach.

It is at least as popular as Great Cleave in my campaigns.

Cheers

Remove ads