Please Just Play the Adventure (One Shots)

MGibster

Legend
And to break the 4th wall when necessary. In a con game I think it's acceptable to say "this is the adventure, and I don't have time to prep something else."
Honestly, this is something I really need to work on in general. I got fairly good at it when running Gumshoe games where I would flat out tell players that they have found every clue necessary to move on to the next scene. And if they weren't sure what clue that was, I'd go over the clues with them. This was much preferable to playing out a scene for an extra 20 minutes when nothing else useful could be earned.

MGibster

Legend
And once again, I'm in awe of the variety of opinions we have about this situation and I don't mean that in a bad way. We're all influenced by our own experience and preferences when it comes to gaming. It does remind me that while its easy to find other gamers, it's much harder to find a group of people you're compatible with.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Honestly, this is something I really need to work on in general. I got fairly good at it when running Gumshoe games where I would flat out tell players that they have found every clue necessary to move on to the next scene. And if they weren't sure what clue that was, I'd go over the clues with them. This was much preferable to playing out a scene for an extra 20 minutes when nothing else useful could be earned.
Yeap, during a campaign a few of these moments will come up. There is a point the players have turned every stone and got everything they can. Some players are just hoarders when it comes to planning and preparing for an adventure. That is fine in a campaign where time is copious, but a con game is premium in supply. You may have to hit that neon signage a lot sooner than later.

MGibster

Legend
If there is only one choice that a GM wants the players to make, why frame a situation that implies there is more than one feasible choice? What is the point of pretending the players are free to have their PCs do a range of things, when there is one specific thing they're meant to be doing?
Isn't it always going to be the case that the character are presented with a "choice" that isn't really a choice? I could start the adventure with the characters standing at the entrance to a dungeon and tell them that they've been tasked with finding the Mobile of Baby Vecna, but if they don't "choose" to walk through the front door there's no adventure.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Isn't it always going to be the case that the character are presented with a "choice" that isn't really a choice? I could start the adventure with the characters standing at the entrance to a dungeon and tell them that they've been tasked with finding the Mobile of Baby Vecna, but if they don't "choose" to walk through the front door there's no adventure.
In that's even a vague concern just start them in the dungeon, with a monster popping out of a box of crackerjacks or whatever. Imminent death has a marvelous way of focusing the mind.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
In my experience (as both a player and a DM, and only playing with established groups of friends), the issue arises when one or more of the players try to outsmart the DM and "beat" the game. I've been guilty of it myself, particularly when I get carried with my own perceived cleverness, and I know it annoys whoever is the DM.
In my personal game, this is part of the fun, but I would never do it in a convention game. It is similar to how many of my closest friends and I "rib" each other in a manner that would be very insulting in nearly any other context. In my home games, I don't mind my players trying the "beat" my game or when they try to "stump" me by asking for names and back stories on inconsequential NPCs. The Legend Lore spell is a particularly useful stump-the-GM tool that players can gleefully abuse. For the last four years my games are very much sandboxes and I do like to improvise. I'm not great at improvising but some of the best things in my current campaign have come out of poor improvising that started with an off-the-cuff and not very original (or downright dumb or silly) NPC who eventually evolves into an endearing reoccurring character.

But it is all in good fun with trusted friends. There are certainly times where I have had to say "okay guys, if you want to do that or go there, we'll need to continue next session." But that happens less and less, because I'm more comfortable in going "off VTT" and shifting to theater of the mind and making things up off the cuff. This is much more difficult in a convention setting. Even if the GM is ready and willing to do this, other players are likely going to be upset because they signed up for a specific adventure.

For me the best convention games for D&D-like games are where everyone is clear on where they need to go and what the object is and where the location is fairly confined, but where there the party has full reign within that confined area to explore and come up with their own solutions, rather than a specific string of scenes they must go through. The challenge is ensuring the session can wrap-up in a satisfactory manner within the time slot and that most of the allocated time is used. That requires a GM who is comfortable adding or removing challenges and encounters based on the party's progress. Not everyone is comfortable with that.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
At least then they don't have the excuse that they were being clueless about the nature of the adventure hook. This couldn't be a failure of hook identification, this is outright and explicit denial to follow the hook.

Remove ads