• everyone should take this feat

Votes: 0 0.0%

JoeBlank

Explorer
With apologies to smetzger:

What is the usefulness/must have of Improved Overrun

Improved Overrun [General]
REQ: Str 13, Power Attack
When you attempt to overrun an opponent, the target may not choose to avoid you. You also gain a +4 bonus on your Strength check to knock down your opponent.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
The fact that they've clarified some of the prone conditions makes this feat much more attractive then it used to. You can charge through one guy, hit the guy behind him, and now the prone guy has to eat 2 aoos (one from crawling from your square, one for standing up). That's often worth one AOO in my opinion.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I gave it a '2'.

Not useless but a pretty desperate measure for PCs in most cases. Does this feat really need to have a prerequisite?

It is an interesting tactical option for dudes with Large or better size and/or reach -- preferably both. Taking an AoO for positioning could make sense.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Stalker0 said:
The fact that they've clarified some of the prone conditions makes this feat much more attractive then it used to. You can charge through one guy, hit the guy behind him, and now the prone guy has to eat 2 aoos (one from crawling from your square, one for standing up). That's often worth one AOO in my opinion.
Unfortunately the fact that they banned overrunning on a charge (IIRC) made it worthless again.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
Unfortunately the fact that they banned overrunning on a charge (IIRC) made it worthless again.

Not worthless, just of rather limited use. :D I could see an Enlarge Personed Dwarven Defender with a Reach Weapon overrunning for a good tactical position. But it most likely to be of benefit to an NPC like a Frost Giant.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Saeviomagy said:

From the SRD:
"You can attempt an overrun as a standard action taken during your move, or as part of a charge. (In general, you cannot take a standard action during a move; this is an exception.) With an overrun, you attempt to plow past or over your opponent (and move through his square) as you move. You can only overrun an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller. You can make only one overrun attempt per round." (emphasis added)

Just want to be sure I have not missed anything. Is there errata or something else that changes this?

diaglo

Adventurer
Ridley's Cohort said:
It is an interesting tactical option for dudes with Large or better size and/or reach -- preferably both. Taking an AoO for positioning could make sense.

the big problem with reach weapons tho is that many can't be used at the 5' range. like a halberd for example. so you won't even get your AoO if you stop right after running someone over.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Li Shenron said:
After actually looking at the handy errata pdf that I downloaded months ago, I can only say:

CURSES!

Thanks for setting me straight.

For reference, that errata says:

"Player's Handbook, page 148
It’s not possible to overrun as part of a charge.
Delete "or as part of a charge" from this paragraph.
"

Remove ads