Plight of the New RPG: Shattered Dawn - Part 1

Recently I was at Infinity Con in Lake City Florida, where I encountered two gents (young but older than college-age) in a small booth offering the Shattered Dawn RPG. The con turned out to be a multimedia con with almost no gaming interest so I spent a lot of time talking with the guys and playing in both their demos on the day I was there.

I don’t ordinarily look for new RPGs to try out for two reasons. First, I’m not into the Cult of the New that’s so common in games (and a lot of other things) these days. New isn’t likely to be nearly as good as a good Oldie. Second, I’m more likely to find experienced players who already know a particular game if I stick to the most popular game, D&D. So aside from downloading and reading rules occasionally, or watching others play, I am most likely to encounter new RPGs at conventions.

Consider the plight of people who’ve designed new tabletop RPGs. Here are some barriers:

• Why change from their old game?
  • Those accustomed to video games, expect rapid level rise
  • Those accustomed to video games, don’t expect any real danger (save games . . .)
  • Short attention spans.
  • Getting product into stores is MUCH harder than in the past; the “long tail,” isn’t there.
In the challenge of “why change from my old game”, publishers have to look for those who like to try lots of different games, or who aren’t familiar with tabletop RPGs. Fortunately, this “explorer” kind of gamer is common, and “the unwashed” are much more common than decades ago. ENWorld readers are more likely to be experimental (or jaded about the old game, as the case may be), than typical players.

The more complicated the game is, the less interest you’re likely to get - you need to play NOW, not after long character generation. (The one exception is some younger people who use character generation to try to express their individuality in a world where they feel marginalized.)

One barrier that’s much lower today is printing costs. Traditional lithographic printing provides great economies of scale if you can print the kind of numbers the big publishers can, but smaller ones cannot because of the total cost. Digital printing (the kind used for Print on Demand) makes it economically practical to print a high quality initial run of 100 or 200 copies. SD’s initial run was small, but high quality with fine art (pasteboard hardcover, which is standard for the big publishers). They have to charge more because digital is more expensive than huge litho runs (each book is $50, PDF $20), yet with similar quality.

Shattered Dawn offers two hardcover large-format books. Their nerve-wracking Kickstarter in April ‘17 exceeded their $10,000 goal by only $120!

It’s harder to get into retail distribution because SO MANY games are now published. And games are less likely to become “evergreen”, instead they’re flash-in-the-pan, into stores once, sold out, not reordered even if they sell well because there’s so much new coming down the line. It’s a hit-driven industry, such that even the “evergreen” products suffer. This happens even to major publishers. Steve Jackson Games (41 employees at end of 2016) said:
The current market is more a periodicals business than one that encourages growing and nurturing single games, leading to our evergreen titles -- Munchkin and Zombie Dice -- dropping in sales.

Other publishers cite similar experiences. Individual titles sell fewer copies, so the reaction of publishers is to sell more titles, exacerbating the situation. It's a classic "Tragedy of the Commons".

Shattered Dawn managed to achieve a big Kickstarter, but many small RPG creators do not, and have to compromise print and especially art quality. Which makes it even harder to get into shops in an age where presentation frequently counts for more than actual content. They've placed the game in a few shops in their home city (Jacksonville FL), but have yet to get into regular distribution - and probably won't.

In north Florida alone this year I've encountered two newly-published RPGs through conventions. (I'll talk about the other sometime.) There must be dozens throughout the USA, let alone the world.

I'll discuss Shattered Dawn design choices (which address some of the barriers listed above) next time.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
you need to play NOW, not after long character generation. (The one exception is some younger people who use character generation to try to express their individuality in a world where they feel marginalized.)

And the issues I've had with this writer for decades pops it's head again. A mediocre article, if a bit slanted, then the above is stated blithely dismissing people who don't play the way he does as not worth considering- something he does often. Makes respecting his opinion (no matter what he been involved in in the history of the games) really difficult to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Possibly the worst article I have ever read on this site.

I was interested to learn more about Shaterred Dawn, NOT the disgruntled jaded view of this miserable author.

Cult of new? I don't know, maybe its just fun to try new things sometimes? Heck I still play 2nd and 3rd edition D&D... yet I still also try, play and buy new games.

Express their individuality? or maybe they are just expressing their creativity? Isn't that the point of tabletop rpgs?

Anyways, I'm going to google this RPG now and check it out for myself, because clearly I didn't get anything from this useless article.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
"This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. "

It's clearly user-generated but I'm still looking for the content. Title does not match content. What's the point of this article? What's the conclusion? This is the opening third of an article, not a complete one on its own.

aramis erak

Legend
Possibly the worst article I have ever read on this site.

I was interested to learn more about Shaterred Dawn, NOT the disgruntled jaded view of this miserable author.

Cult of new? I don't know, maybe its just fun to try new things sometimes? Heck I still play 2nd and 3rd edition D&D... yet I still also try, play and buy new games.

Express their individuality? or maybe they are just expressing their creativity? Isn't that the point of tabletop rpgs?

Anyways, I'm going to google this RPG now and check it out for myself, because clearly I didn't get anything from this useless article.

Lew seems to be increasingly less interesting and less informed.

Hussar

Legend
I dont get the hate on this article, seems like a pretty straight forward problem with creating a new RPG.

Well, I'd say it's pretty easy to see where the dislike come from. The author basically takes a big steaming dump on anything that is new - "I'm not part of the cult of new", then makes a bunch of completely unsubstantiated claims about "young people these days".

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's clearly user-generated but I'm still looking for the content. Title does not match content. What's the point of this article? What's the conclusion? This is the opening third of an article, not a complete one on its own.
Yes, and the title does say "Part I" at the end; I assume there's more coming sometime.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Well, I'd say it's pretty easy to see where the dislike come from. The author basically takes a big steaming dump on anything that is new - "I'm not part of the cult of new", then makes a bunch of completely unsubstantiated claims about "young people these days".

Yeah, no I just dont see it. He is not dumping on anything that is new, he said that "I'm not part of the cult of new". He said that he had trouble finding people to play new games. I have heard other people say the same thing, they want to play X game but everyone else wants to play DnD.

I just dont see the big deal.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases