pneumatik's WotBS 2 - The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
"I dunno, Liiros," Torrent says. "Maybe we'll be out of here in a couple of days."

The voice of Indomitability goes quiet. You feel fire in your veins burning you from the inside out. It passes quickly, and when it's gone you feel inured to the heat around you. You know that Torrent's potions of stand the heat keep you from being hurt by the fire, but now you're only sweating if you're wearing heavy armor or robes. You feel somehow also empowered as if you were tempered by the fire in your veins.

The eyes of flame vanish. The flames on the fallen trees ahead of you flicker and die. The flames on either side of the elfroad fade down the the level before the fight started.

You clamber over the fallen trees. Stretching across the river in front of you is an arc of a bridge seeming composed of branches and vines of what was once pale, white stone. Several of these vines and branches plunge into the shallow water beneath the bridge, forming supports. Off the right side of the bridge, in the middle of the river sits a tall, narrow tower, only about twenty feet in diameter, reaching up to a roof thirty feet above the bridge. A narrow walkway leads from the main bridge to a thick oaken entrance door. The tower, as well as the bridge, is currently flame-free, though blackened from decades of soot. On the far side of the bridge lies a small village built in a wide clearing, its buildings faintly visible through the forest’s ashy haze.

"Anyone need healing?" Torrent asks, holding our her wand of cure light wounds. "Man, I hope we can rest in that tower or village or somewhere."

[sblock=ooc]I've attached an unedited version of the map I attached way back before the fight at http://www.enworld.org/forum/5185771-post91.html.

There's enough safety here that Torrent will definitely have time to heal you before you go too far. As long as you post how many HP you need, assume she heals you.[/sblock]

Attachments

• IFFOI-map2.GIF
    IFFOI-map2.GIF
    158.9 KB · Views: 75

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"I'm alright Sea Mistress," Shaylir says with a smile her dimples marred by soot.

"I can help to. I can, I can." She says continuing to walk towards the tower. Looking up at the tall structure she shakes her red curls and looks at Fritz.

"Wish we could find a brair patch, don't you Fritz?"

When the small fox just yips back she frowns here face sadden, "Oh, I guess The Green Man's magic wore off. We won't get to talk before bed," she states sadly kicking at the bridge.

[sblock=OOC] Like I said not a scratch on the little Shirley Temple wanne be. LOL What time of day is it? I think maybe a search of the villiage so no surprises and then resting in the tower maybe in order. We do need to follow the river don't know how we are going to do that. But if we decide to rest then Shaylir can use the 4 cure lights she has and the VOW three times saving us some charges. [/sblock]

Arkhandus

First Post
Liiros Tivaniel, elven crusader of Corellon Larethian

"I am only lightly singed. But I could use a bit of healing nonetheless......it would be terrible to leave my skin marred so." Liiros replies. He tries to shake off the odd feeling that Indomitability left in him, and shudders a moment.

He looks around at the scene, and at the rest of the group, then says "I suppose we should cross the bridge and check those buildings. Up to you which ones first, I am no expert in these things, I've only studied the aesthetics of my people's architecture a bit." The heavily-armored elf marches onward once the group decides, leading the way with sword and shield in hand now.
[sblock=OOC]Only down 5 HP, currently.[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
"I need to rest soon," says Hollister, as he pauses to survey the tower and buildings beyond. "I'm mostly out of arcane power, and I have a feeling I will need it before we escape this forest."

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
[sblock=Hollister]Hollister recognizes the the bridge as an example of the "stonewood" style used by the elves of Innenotdar. It was intended to show a harmony between artifice and the natural world. The elves were criticized, especially by the elvish leaders of Shahalesti, for emulating the stoneshaping magic of the hated drow and dwarves.[/sblock]Torrent heals the injured party members with her wand. You walk up to the middle of the bridge and stop next to the tower. It's clearly designed as a fortification. It has several arrowslits on higher floors. There's a wooden door leading into the tower from the bridge. The door is closed and it looks pretty sturdy. The tower's location, away from anything flammable and over a river, appears to have protected it from any serious damage from the forest fire.

Thanee

First Post
Lytha

Lytha thanks Torrent for the healing. A single charge from her wand was enough to remove any wounds, the elf still endured.

When they walk up to the tower, she is glad to be away from all the fire for a moment, as short as it will be, most likely.

Rhun

First Post
The fire mage examines the bridge, stroking his goatee as he considers. "I believe this construction is an example of the "stonewood" style used by the elves of Innenotdar. It was the subject to much criticism, as many elves believed it to emulate the stoneshaping magics of the drow and dwarves." He turns his gaze to the tower. "It looks safe enough. Do you think we can get inside there to rest?"

Arkhandus

First Post
Liiros Tivaniel, high elven crusader of Corellon Larethian

"We should at least try. And stone is no substitute for vibrant, living wood. Just a cold, dead substitute favored by the lesser races. Though I have to admit it makes fine material for fortifications where wood and magic are in poor supply," Liiros replies.

"Hello?" the armored elf calls out. He knocks on the door and waits for an answer, before considering just smashing it down. "If no one answers, then you may wish to try picking the lock, if any of you have such skills. Otherwise, I will have to break down the door."

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
When Shaylir touches the tower it definitely feels warm. Between the stand the heat potions and Indomitability's boon it's hard to judge just how hot things are, but she's pretty sure it's cooler than the surrounding forest in the same way a warm breeze on a hot day is cooler than still air.

Liiros knocks on the door. It feels solid. No one responds. A quick check proves that it's locked.

Standing in the middle of the bridge over a running river, the heat and noise of the forest fire seems far away. You're all used to the occasional fight, but spending the day on a road lined with walls of fire has been more wearing than you might have thought. The bridge and tower are a welcome respite.

Remove ads