pneumatik's WotBS 2 - The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar

Antithetist

First Post
Arshen watches the unicorn gloomily. "O wonderful," he mutters as it dives into the lake to swim across to them. "A unicorn, now, is it? Why not? This place hath sent us demons, burning livestock, burning elves - burning well nigh everything - some kind of flying furry spider thing, and now a unicorn. I stand up to protect Gate's Pass from foreign invasion, and instead here I am, days from civilization, neck-deep in woodsy mumbo-jumbo."

He listens to the unicorn's speech with his face a mask of severity and gloom, only cracking a little to register a moment's concern as Shaylir falls to the ground. He moves swiftly over and kneels down. "What's wrong?" he frowns after a moment, straightening up. "Thou seemst unharmed, why this display?"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"I... I have had the same dream," Shaylir says not getting up just sitting staring at the ground. "Almost every night, and just then I was 'in that dream' again and... and here. I don't know any twirl-creatures but I do know that dreams can be real. Like the dream of all of you and helping The Green Man."

Shaylir sighs and starts to pet Fritz after he wormed his way into her lap. "I'll... I'll be alright just give me a moment."

Rhun

First Post
Hollister listens to the unicorn's story, but can't seem to recall any reference of a trillith.

Knowledge (Arcane) Check: 29 - Ugh, so damn close!

Arkhandus

First Post
Liiros Tivaniel

Liiros checks on the halfling, but doesn't find any wounds. He replies to the unicorn "I do not recognize those names.....as Lytha explained, we encountered a strange entity calling itself Indomitability, which seems connected to the burning of Innenotdar. This was after we were assaulted by a group of fiery creatures and some manner of fiend, as well as a fiendish, fire-breathing hound, and nearly engulfed by a moving wall of flames. I do not know if it is wise for us to try releasing that entity, but I do not think we will be free until we do so, nor will Innenotdar. Oh, and we found a journal belonging to someone named Bhurisrava, in a tower, and this elf's last entry indicated that Bhurisrava hid something that could be used to help Innenotdar. Do you know anything about this mystery, Nelle?"

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
[sblock=Hollister and Lytha]Between the two of you, you recognize the name Trilla as the name of a very young gold dragon who was held hostage by Drakus Coaltongue many years ago, long before he became emperor of Ragesia (Coaltongue's death precipitated Supreme Inquisitor Leska taking control of part of the the Ragesian army, naming it The Scourge, and invading Gate Pass with it {I think that's all already been revealed}). The half-orc warlord used the child as leverage to force its mother to serve him.[/sblock]
"I'm glad you're well, Shaylir," Nell says. "From your description, Lytha, I believe we are talking about the same entity named Indomitability. If this entity can invade Shaylir's mind and mine it must be a mighty psychic. If you can, you must kill or free it.

"Further down the White River, where it empties into a lake there is a village of creatures called seela. They are fey who once carried the song of the forest from one end to the other. Now they are trapped, for I have not seen them since the fire began. I know they still sing the song of the forest because sometimes I can hear it in the rustling of the burning trees. The song is powerfully magic and can affect the whole of the forest. I have thought for years that their singing was linked to the ever-burning flames, but whenever I would try to travel downriver the flames would assault me.

"It sounds like Indomitability already asked to you head travel to the village. I encourage you to do so, but to keep you eyes open. I do not feel comfortable recommending you follow Indomitability's direction, but I have no other ideas to save the Forest of Innenotdar."

After Liiros speaks, Nelle says, "Bhurisrava!?! Please, come this way." He leads the party along the shore to the waterfall. There is a cave behind it, and Nelle leads you into it. You hear cries, moans, and occasional curses in elvish. Inside are over a dozen naked elves, their bodies all engulfed in flame. "Bhurisrava was a priest of Sehanine Moonbow who lived in the elf village when the fire first began. He brought me these poor souls to watch over in hopes that he could find some way to save them. He tried taking one up the cliff and out of Innenotdar. He said the body stopped burning but then crumbled to ash. We spoke of ways he might convert to a diety of healing, perhaps Pelor, but neither he nor I knew much of any healing faiths."

As he speaks Nelle looks away from the burning elves. He walks out of the cave and looks up at the sky, "It's starting to get late. You're welcome to stay at the lake and rest for tonight if you wish. I can still keep the immediate surroundings safe."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Maybe I can help them, at least let me try something." Shaylir says moving towards the bodies.

She moves till she is right in the middle of them, and the sweat starts to mat her red curls. "I can't touch them, the flames, but." She brings her hand up to her holy symbol and starts to pray.

A soft glow comes from the symbol between her fingers and then suddenly a burst of blue light escapes from it. The light touches all the elves lying about, it's passing causing the flames to dance as if the wind had picked up. Shaylir rushes as close as she dare to one of the elves trying to see if her healing worked.

[sblock] Shaylir will use Vow of Healing and if there is a noticable inprovement will she will use them all. I think she has three. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Liiros frowns. "Sadly, I do not know any way to help these people, other than possibly trying to release or destroy Indomitability. We found a few other elves in this state, back in and near the tower where we found the journal. However, we would gladly accept your offer to rest here for the night, before we set out again in the morning. Thank you, Nell." He bows slightly to the unicorn.

Rhun

First Post
"Releasing Indomitability may well be our best course of action," says Hollister in response to Liiros' words. "If releasing it sends it back to its original plane of existence, which I assume to be the Elemental Plane of Fire, it is likely that any effects that it has had upon our plane will end when it leaves."

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
With a plan made to head downriver to the seela village, you rest for the night. Nelle is a pleasant dinner companion. He is erudite yet always considerate to keep everyone involved in discussion. After several hours he excuses himself for a moment to visit the cave behind the waterfall. He returns carrying a small sculpture with his mouth. The sculpture is of an eagle and dragon chasing each other in a circle and formed of clay, feathers, scales, and many other small beautiful items. He places it on the ground. It casts dancing shadows in the firelight, eagle and dragon changing the lead to the whims of the fire.

"I can't do much myself, but hopefully this can help. There are three feathers left in the eagle, and three scales left in the dragon. They are magical tokens. Take them. These two feathers and this scale become messenger birds. The other feather becomes a boat, and the two other scales are whips that attack your adversaries for you." He turns and starts walking into the lake. "I must return to the shrine. You're welcome to join me, if you wish to swim. I assure you that if you sleep on the lake shore you will be safe."

The night is pleasant. Cool air falls down from the mountains and mixes with the hot air rising from the indomitable fire forest. The end result around the lake are cool breezes that require you to break out the blankets you used in the mountains while leaving Gate Pass.

"Best of luck," Nelle says the next morning. "I hope you can help Innenotdar. Being surrounded by tragedy for four decades has worn me down, and I do not like the unicorn I have become. Oh, yes: I don't know if this will be useful to you or not, but I advise you think twice before you teleport anywhere. I teleported across the lake a week ago and ended up getting burned for some reason. This never happened before, so it's unlikely to be related to the forest fire. Still, be careful and Ehlonna guide and protect you."

Remove ads