pneumatik's WotBS 2 - The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Tiljann looks concerned. "I'll tell you where Timbre's grove is if you want to go, but I'm not going back there again. I was almost killed the last time I went to see her, and that's without even getting to the ring of flames surrounding her.

"I mean, you can do what you want. You're the heroes. I just wish now that had had a better plan before I went. I showed up to talk and instead almost burned to death. Or to the almost-death that you can end-up here, anyway. Other seela told me she didn't want to talk to anyone, but I guess it didn't register."

Arkhandus

First Post
Liiros tells Arshen quietly "We will certain set watches if we do rest here. I am still uncertain what to make of this. But if the spellcasters require rest soon, it would be best to give them the chance."

Then he asks Tiljann "Could you not just use the Song of Forms to manifest your forest's spirit to do battle with the invading spirit of Indomitability? Or has the forest-spirit already been defeated? Either way, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to at least try speaking with Timbre, though we may well have to retreat afterwards depending on what forces she commands and how hostile she may be towards outsiders."

[sblock=ooc]Oops, got too distracted around Thanksgiving, and didn't check the forums at all that week.[/sblock]

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
"I think Indomitability is the spirit of Innenotdar now, or at least part of it. I'd never really thought about it, but I guess there isn't much left of the Spirit of Innenotdar. It's been burning for as long as I've been alive. I can't imagine there's much left," Tiljann says.

There's plenty of light left in the day, and the party's spellcasters have expended a total of one first level spell, so you ask Tiljann for directions to Timbre's tree. It's about a mile from the village along a now-dry creek bed. She offers to lead you through the seela village to where the creek bed meets the lake, but is still unwilling to visit Timbre. The village appears to have 40-50 seela living there in a mix of stone houses and caves. Most of the seela you see are depressed and dejected, staring off at the surrounding forest or shuffling about. But a good-sized minority of them are still bright-eyed with the obvious interest in life of active artists.

The trip up the narrow and deep creek bed is quick. The creek bed itself consists of dirt and rocks, and so is safe from flames, but it's narrow and flames press in on you from both sides. The gorge ends with a beautiful stone staircase that leads up to a 30- by 50-foot clearing surrounded by burning roses and thick trees, beyond which is a hill, completely engulfed in fire. The hill is 40 feet in diameter, surrounded on all sides by walls of fire. Atop the hill is an old willow tree, almost identical to the stone willow in the fountain in the Elven village. Curled beneath it is a woman whose wooden flesh flares with horrible fire.

The clearing itself is fiery, its grass flickering with fire that looks hot enough to hurt all of you despite your protections expect for Hollister. At the end of the clearing stand a pair of dire boars whose fur is burning like the surrounding forest. They eye you warily as you reach the top of the stairs.

Standing at the top the stairs you think you hear the forest cry out, but then you see the mouth of the burning woman at the base of the tree speak the words you hear. She cries out for help, for release, in pain, and in love for those lost. Liiros, Arshen, and Shaylir all hear her call out for Anyariel.

[sblock=Hollister]Hollister's mage armor is still up, but odds are it will have dropped by the time you finish up here and then get back to the seela village.[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Hollister steps forward. In a loud voice, he calls out to the fiery dryad. "Timbre, hear me! We have come to answer your call for aid! Speak with us, so that we may bring you reprieve from your torment!"

Arkhandus

First Post
"Fair Timbre, we seek to end this burning curse! Will you speak with us, and enlighten us further on your plight and that of Innenotdar? We are here to help," Liiros calls out in Sylvan.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
"Flee! Flee! Away!" Timbre's voice is clearly audible. The flames flare higher as the trees offer themselves as fuel to the indomitable fire. "She sent you! She's gone! Tell her! Gwenvere! Let it go, let it go, ohhhhh ..." The flames die back down. The burning animals guarding the tree step forward defensively.

Rhun

First Post
Hollister shrugs, and again calls out to the Dryad. "We know not this Gwenvere. We have come of our own accord."

Remove ads