D&D 1E PoD Reprints

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I really wish they'd make it possible to choose between hard & soft cover options for most of the books in general. Also wish they'd roll out POD versions for the many titles that remain PDF only at this time.
It's weird that WotC pre-selects which POD format is available. Most other publishers on DriveThruRPG (of which DMs Guild is just a walled garden inside of) do.

Apparently making something POD-ready is more work than just putting up the PDF, but I don't know what the extra work entails. I can't imagine that WotC ever had a lot of people working on this part of their business and who knows if they survived the layoffs in December. I always view the DMs Guild stuff we've got as potentially being all we'll ever get out of WotC in that regard.

Simon Miles

Creator of the World of Barnaynia FRPG setting
I wish they'd make all the 1E hardcovers available as POD hardcovers. Last I looked, the Fiend Folio was still only available in softcover.
I find this vey interesting. We produce our own supplements (Osric, OSE and D&D 1e and 2e compatible) through Drive Thru POD and offer most of them in hard and softcover. Our two largest volumes (over 200 pages each) we only offer in hardback at the moment as we find large softback book hard to hold and read without the extra support. Could you let us know the reasons you prefer softbacks? If we are missing a trick here we need to remedy that. Thanks in advance. www.dunrominuniversitypress.co.uk

Just in case anyone was wondering about the quality of the PoD reprints of the 1e core books from DriveThru, I just ordered them in a fit of nostalgia since I sold my first edition books long ago.

53440033765_9c08b8da13_c.jpg

These are the Standard Colour Hardback option, and I am very pleased with the quality. The interior is very clean and clear, and the covers seem a good quality too with a consistent gloss finish.
Any chance you could post a picture of some text? I have those from when they were sold in FLGS and I’m curious how the print looks in comparison.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I find this vey interesting. We produce our own supplements (Osric, OSE and D&D 1e and 2e compatible) through Drive Thru POD and offer most of them in hard and softcover. Our two largest volumes (over 200 pages each) we only offer in hardback at the moment as we find large softback book hard to hold and read without the extra support. Could you let us know the reasons you prefer softbacks? If we are missing a trick here we need to remedy that. Thanks in advance. www.dunrominuniversitypress.co.uk
It's the exact opposite -- I prefer them in hardcover, when possible. So you're doing well as far as I'm concerned.

Riley

Legend
Just in case anyone was wondering about the quality of the PoD reprints of the 1e core books from DriveThru, I just ordered them in a fit of nostalgia since I sold my first edition books long ago.

53440033765_9c08b8da13_c.jpg

These are the Standard Colour Hardback option, and I am very pleased with the quality. The interior is very clean and clear, and the covers seem a good quality too with a consistent gloss finish.
I like the feel and look of these POD 1e manuals much better than the ‘Deluxe’ versions they reprint.

The page layout, paper, and ink in these POD’s seems closer to the beloved original manuals, IMO.

Remove ads