pogre's story hour Zandyrium -episode 66- (5/10/2006) A short update.

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 22

“It’s gone,” Justinius told the adventurers again.

“Remarkable,” Heinrich commented. "I have scanned the entire sea and area around Zandyrium and there is no sign of the fleet or the dragon. Further, when I went to the place where the fleet was I could sense an unholy pall over the area.”

“When you cured Silcrass’s mate this morning you said something about unholy damage,” Wassabe remarked.

“Right, the wounds were diabolically tainted and resisted normal and magical healing methods,” Heinrich replied. “I had to remove the taint of evil.”

“Was it similar to what you sensed out where the fleet was previously stationed?” Wassabe asked.

“I only know it was unholy. So yes, it was similar in that regard.”

“I just talked to some of my friends in the ocean and it seems the fleet left out of here in a big hurry riding a wave of some kind,” Githraldul reported.

“Water elementals?” Mercutio asked.

“That seems likely,” Heinrich said. “This calls for higher levels of communication.”

“I doubt the emperor knows anything,” Thoren stated.

“I was thinking quite a bit higher than that,” Heinrich smiled. “I will need some time to commune with Siegphorus.”

“While he is doing that would you mind seeking an audience with the emperor?” Mercutio asked Justinius.

“Whatever for?” Justinius asked.

“We may need a few resources,” Mercutio answered.

Heinrich Communed with his deity Siegphorus, god of war and victory:

Q: Is the fleet we faced yesterday still on this plane?

A: Yes.

Q: Is the dragon Bezzalt with the fleet?

A: Yes.

Q: Is the fleet within 50 miles of Zandyrium?

A: No.

Q: Is the fleet within 100 miles of Zandyrium?

Q: Is the fleet north of Zandyrium?

Q: Is the fleet poised to attack Zandyrium?

A: Unknown.

Q: Was the taint of evil I sensed this morning at sea caused by the Dragon Bezzalt?

Q: Was the taint of evil I sensed this morning at sea caused by a pit lord?
(Heinrich swallowed hard.)

(Relief!)

Q: Is the fleet set to attack another city?

A: Unknown.

Q: Is Boethricus din Woad with the fleet?

Q: Is Boethricus din Woad at the Stahl River Delta ruins?

Heinrich returned to report his findings to his comrades.

General Kilphus entered the meeting room. “The fleet was spotted going past Braya to the south. A Brayan rider just conveyed the message. He said the fleet was moving swiftly, propelled by a great wave.”

“Why south?” Thoren asked.

“Thray, the great city of the Thraegian Coast,” Wassabe postulated.

“We must warn them,” Mercutio stated.

“I have already sent a messenger,” General Kilphus replied. “We can be sure they will not trust a message from Zandyrium though.”

“Why is that?” Mercutio asked.

“They were once part of our empire, and will be again one day. The emperor must be informed.” General Kilphus turned to leave.

“General Kilphus?” Justinius blurted.

“Yes?” the general paused and turned to face the cleric.

“May I accompany you?” Justinius asked.

To be continued…

Parlan

First Post
Excellent SH, Pogre!! It was a little hard to follow some of the fast-forwarding (lost of unfamiliar names) but more posts is more better! Keep them coming!

pogre

Legend
Thank you Parlan. Your comments mean a lot to me.

Zandyrium
Episode 23

“There is someone I would like for you to stay here and meet,” General Kilphus replied.

“Is there a time in the near future I could meet with the emperor?” Justinius asked.

“Not until the current crisis has abated. You can rest assured I will personally see to it that you receive all the honors you deserve for your efforts against Boethricus. The Emperor is well aware of your accomplishments.”

“It’s not that we are seeking honor General, but…”

The general put his index finger up to his lips. “I will address your concerns as soon as I am able. Wait here for the guest I told you about.” General Kilphus started to turn and walk out of the room but hesitated at the exit, “Oh, and Justinius…”

“Yes, General?”

“It’s all about honor,” the General winked in a friendly way meant to reassure the cleric and left.

“Who is this person we are supposed to be waiting on?” Wassabe asked.

“Me, I think,” a person in a dark cloak said as he entered the room. The figure flipped the cowl back to reveal Rothlor the ranger. “How goes it?”

“It would be better if we could gain an audience with the emperor,” Mercutio complained.

Rothlor laughed. “Why? He’s a fool. He knows less of the situation than you.”

“However, he is a rich and powerful fool,” Heinrich said.

“And there is a few things we would like to get,” Mercutio added.

“Where have you been old friend?” Githraldul asked Rothlor.

“More scouting up by the Stahl River Delta,” Rothlor answered. “General Kilphus thinks it would be a good idea for us to strike there.”

“Honestly, we were thinking the same thing,” Heinrich admitted.

“We were hoping to get some access to spells,” Mercutio stated. “We thought we could go up to the Delta, cause a little trouble there and then zip down to mess with the fleet down by the Thraegian Coast. We need some upper valence spell scrolls to make it happen though.”

“The Emperor would never allow you to help the Thraegians. He’s hoping they are weakened.”

“We’re starting to understand that,” Mercutio replied. “I was hoping we could put aside our squabbles for a while and work together to face Boethricus.”

Rothlor laughed for a moment and then grew quiet as he realized Mercutio was not being sarcastic. “I can at least lend a hand in crippling Boethricus’s force in the Delta. I made a few notes.” The ranger stretched a piece of parchment out on one of the room’s tables.

2301_rothlors_map.jpg

“They sent out around 40 ships last week and seem like they are in a big rush to get more done.” Rothlor pointed at the four ship skids locations on the map, “They had four more nearly done when I left.”

“When was that?” Githraldul asked.

“A couple of days ago,” Rothlor replied. “I suppose they are finished by now.”

“Any signs of Boethricus while you were up there?” Heinrich asked.

“Other than a huge army of trolls, giants, hobgoblins, orcs, and other nastiness – no,” Rothlor smiled.

“Any diabolical elements in the army?” Justinius asked.

“Demons and devils? No, none that I saw.”

“How long were you up there?” Wassabe asked.

“A little over a week*,” Rothlor replied. “This spot I marked as ‘Scout Camp’ is where I stayed.”

“You were that close the whole time?” Mercutio asked.

“Yep, they are pretty intent on working on ships. Truly, their security is very lax. I think we can do a lot of damage.”

A knock came from the meeting room door.

“Come,” Ginny called out.

A stout dwarf opened the door, “I seek master Heinrich of the Church of Siegphorus.”

“You found him bub,” Wassabe replied.

The dwarf look taken aback.

“Not me,” Wassabe grinned, “him.” He pointed over at Heinrich.

“How can I help you?” Heinrich asked.

“I am from Verkorenvalt,” the dwarf began. “I wish to follow your wisdom and learn from you.”

“Ah look,” Wassabe curtsied towards Heinrich, “Heinrich’s got a new friend.”

The dwarf bored his steely gray eyes into Wassabe. Wassabe was oblivious to the silent reproach, “You should follow me dwarf. I know where the best ale and whores are.”

“Ignore him friend,” Heinrich said. “What is your name?”

“Dar Grimbeard of Galtikvalt,” Dar replied. “Formerly, of Galtikvalt,” he corrected himself uncomfortably.

Justinius stood up and greeted the dwarf. He then turned to the others and said, “I wish to consult someone in these matters. Why don’t you tactical types stay and figure out a plan for our coming assault and let me see if I can learn something of use. Mercutio, I could use your help.”

“Shall I come?” Heinrich asked.

“This will require careful tact and diplomacy friend. Besides, you will be the voice of the casters in the tactical plan.”

Heinrich nodded, apparently satisfied with Justinius’s reply.

Mercutio stood up to follow Justinius. As the two left the room behind, Mercutio broke the silence, “Whom are we going to visit?”

“We’re not going anywhere. They are going to come see us.”

“Oh no,” Mercutio sighed. “Do they have a name?”

“Naja Nivyah.”

“That sounds like a she,” Mercutio stated.

“A she-devil to be more precise,” Justinius replied with a whisper.

“Oh no, no way. I’ve got this thing against devils. There is no way I’m going to be around one of those things. Even thinking of it now makes me sick to my stomach.”

“I need your help, Mercutio. You know Heinrich would never agree to it.”

“Nor will I, damnit. Devils are against everything I stand for. I try to get along with you and Heinrich, but this is too much. This can only serve to tangle us further into Boethricus’s web – no good will come of it.”

“I’m not going to lie to you Mercutio. I am going to summon this Erinyes devil. I was hoping you could be there if things go wrong. I think we might learn something of the level of diabolical involvement from her. I really could use your help.”

Mercutio looked down at the ground. “I don’t know…”

“Look,” Justinius offered, “Any time you want, you just give the word and I’ll dismiss her.”

“This is totally unfair,” Mercutio began walking again. “Don’t do this again.”

Justinius smiled and continued walking. He just needed to find a quiet place they could use for a couple of hours…

To be continued…

*A week on the Zandyrium calendar is 5 days.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 24

The ritual prayers were completed in the shadowy chamber and at last Justinius spoke the name three times, “Naja Nivyah, Naja Nivyah, Naja Nivyah.”

The rhythm of just her name was hypnotizing to Mercutio, his heart was pounding so hard he was certain it must be audible.

There was a strange popping noise, the scent of something acrid in the air, and then SHE appeared. A beautifully proportioned woman with sharp features and the longest legs Mercutio had ever seen.

She immediately spoke, “What is the bargain?”

“There is no need for haste Venomwing,” Justinius replied.

“You need not bother with my common name,” she spat back at the cleric. “It’s clear you already know my true one and are far too willing to share it with others.” Naja motioned with her hand towards Mercutio who was standing in a dark corner.

Mercutio felt the blood rising to his cheeks. ‘Am I embarrassed by my lust for her or fear? he thought to himself.

“As you wish Naja,” Justinius paused as he spoke her true name. “The nature of the task calls for information only and no overt action on your part.”

“Knowledge tends to be more expensive,” she replied. “I propose you have savage, lusty sex with me right now and plant your seed.”

Suddenly, Mercutio could not remember why he had anything against devils. ”This sounds like a bargain no man or woman could pass up with a creature this beautiful,” he thought to himself.

“Have a half-devil child damned to eternal life?” Justinius replied. “I think not. I cannot believe Gravitas Morte would bless such a union.”

“I await your counter-offer priest,” Naja stated flatly. She deftly whirled a rope around her semi-nude body, “We could have had a lot of fun with this you know Justinius.”

Mercutio’s head was swimming.

“I’m flattered,” Justinius replied. “My initial offer is this.” Justinius pulled out a large dark pearl. “Naturally, this is for good information – for great information I will offer much more.”

“Ask your question,” Naja said.

“I wish to know Hell’s involvement with Boethricus din Woad, particularly a certain Pit Lord I spotted him with a couple of months ago.”

“I have much information on this topic, but your offer is too low. Make me a better offer and I will give you more information than you want to know.”

Mercutio winced as he heard Naja’s promise.

Justinius revealed a few other gems he had brought to the demoness.

“Not enough,” she spat.

“It’s all I have at the present,” Justinius countered.

“Not true,” Naja retorted and she uncoiled the rope from around her body and pointed at Justinius’s nether regions with it.

“It’s all I care to use for this bargain,” Justinius corrected himself with a smile.

“You will get less than all the information for this meager price,” Naja warned.

“It will have to do,” Justinius answered. “The bargain is set?”

“It is,” she replied. “The Pit Lord you have seen is a fiend known as Darkember, a known liege to Mammon.”

“Your lord must be particularly anxious to see the schemes of Boethricus and Darkember fail,” Justinius suggested.

“I am not certain my lord even knows of Boethricus and this lowly fiend. He is occupied with other matters. Darkember is not a servant to Boethricus, but an emissary. Boethricus is no slave to Mammon either and it is a union of convenience.”

“Where is Boethricus now? What are his plans?”

“Fortunately for you, I know much of this, but remember your price was short of what was required. Are you sure you do not want to expand our little contract?” Naja flicked her tongue at Justinius.

“Tell me what you can.”

“Very well,” the Erinyes replied. “Boethricus is not currently on this plane. He has told Darkember he plans to enslave this continent and set up a great temple to Mammon. His forces will continue to attack, isolating Zandyrium if necessary. However, Boethricus has a weakness – he serves two masters.”

“Who is the second?” Justinius asked.

“That information cannot be purchased with mere gems,” Naja purred.

“When will he strike next?” Justinius asked ignoring the demoness’s innuendo.

“Mammon is greedy and impatient. The strike will come quickly.”

“Where?” Justinius asked.

“Thray and its riches are next. Zandyrium will feel his wrath again as soon as he can regroup. He will strike as many places as he can, at the same time if possible.”

“Regroup?” Justinius inquired.

“The uberstahl mines of Galtikvalt now lay open and ships are being built as we speak. You have learned more from this bargain than you deserve. If you ever call me again, prepare to die.”

“Oh, I don’t think so,” Justinius answered. “You are a practical creature. You know if I call you again it will be to your advantage. The real question is will Morte Gravitas ever allow me to be tempted like this again?”

There was a loud hiss and then a popping noise and the Erinyes was gone. Mercutio felt the skin on the back of his neck crawl as he recognized the acrid smell of brimstone.

“How do you know she was not lying?” Mercutio asked.

“Oh, she was in some respects I’m sure, but because we had a contract most of the information is useful,” Justinius answered. “Besides as much as she may deny it, her master would love to see Boethricus and Mammon fail.”

“Why? Who is her master?”

“Dispater,” Justinius answered.

Mercutio did not really understand how it could matter what Arch-devil Naja Nivyah served. He just knew that more questions would yield more information about diabolical politics than he cared to know.

The pair walked silently to the war meeting room.

“Was your friend helpful?” Heinrich asked.

“I think so,” Justinius replied. “I can confirm that Thray is in fact the fleet’s target. I also learned that Boethricus din Woad is not currently on this plane. His forces are mining uberstahl as quickly as they are able at Galtikvalt and as Rothlor mentioned, building boats quickly too. They plan another strike on Zandyrium in the very near future.”

“Mostly what we were already concluding,” Rothlor said.

“True, but it is good to have it confirmed,” Wassabe added. “Do you trust the source?”

“In this case, yes,” Justinius answered.

“And you Mercutio?” Wassabe asked.

“I think you in particular, Wassabe, would have found this source most impressive,” Mercutio answered.

“Excellent! Let’s move ahead with the planning then,” Heinrich exclaimed.

“Are you sure they will not see the ship?” Wassabe asked Rothlor.

“Positive, we will harbor it at a quiet cove I know north of this location. We can pick off a few of their lumber crews as we work our way south. If we can do as much damage as possible to their lumber stores it will slow them down significantly.”

“What can we expect to encounter around the lumber?” Thoren asked.

“A lot of big stuff, trolls, ogres, giants, and the like. Big and dumb. If we are effective, it may take their hobgoblin leadership a while to respond.”

“So we hit their raw materials and main labor force – I like it,” Ginny said.

“What’s the escape plan once things heat up?” Wassabe asked.

“We all drink an invisibility potion and sprint north into the woods and circle around back to our boat,” Rothlor suggested.

“I will make the call on the retreat,” Heinrich volunteered. “Any who do not heed it are on their own.”

The boat slipped quietly into the cove and Wassabe and Rothlor lowered a couple of anchors. Wassabe had been impressed with how quickly the ranger managed to get the boat up the coast. It was clear Rothlor knew these waters intimately.

As the group made its way down towards the delta they managed to kill a couple of lumber crews with little trouble. Preparing for the assault they saw it was mostly Hill Giants, ogres, and trolls moving the huge trunks. Hobgoblins were preparing and finishing the wood across the river. Several ogres latched the trunks and branches to ropes that were then hauled across the river by ogres on the other bank.

Rothlor led the group to a ford in the slow moving river and the adventurers crossed. Finally, a single hobgoblin noticed the group as it approached the lumber areas and tried to shout an alarm. A well-aimed arrow from Rothlor cut the hobgoblin’s call short, sticking straight through his neck. Trolls, giants, and ogres started moving towards the group.

Thoren hefted his two-handed axe and smiled broadly. “Live or die, today will be a good day,” he thought to himself.

To be continued…

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
Wow Pogre! You are posting quicker than I have been able to respond to lately. :D

Interesting developments with the information from the Erynies. Now how did Justinias pick up that "contact"?

BardStephenFox said:
Wow Pogre! You are posting quicker than I have been able to respond to lately. :D

Interesting developments with the information from the Erynies. Now how did Justinias pick up that "contact"?

Know thy enemy and know them well, for you can be assured that in the bowels of hell, they know you well.

pogre

Legend
BardStephenFox said:

Thanks for checking in BardStephenFox!

When I did character generation for this campaign I created a set of character creation cards and each player was dealt a number of them. They could choose one major card or two minor cards for their character. They could also trade amongst themselves. It was something with a little boost to add some flavor to the campaign. I'll attach a set so you can see what I'm talking about.

One of the character creation cards HairyMinotaur chose allowed him to know a number of fiends names prior to the campaign. He's a very patient man - I think this is the very first time he has used one!

Attachments

• creation_major.doc
    32 KB · Views: 124
  • creation.doc
    31 KB · Views: 113

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 25

There were ten of them altogether: Wassabe, Thoren, Morguhn, Githraldul, Rothlor, Mercutio, Justinius, Heinrich, Dar, and Ginny against thousands. The adventurers set straight to work sabotaging the lumberworks and managed to set many of the huge piles of wood alight. Morguhn and Githraldul defended the party’s area with walls of thorns, entangles, and firewalls. Mercutio poured fireballs into the woodpiles and Heinrich called in flamestrike after flamestrike.

The western half of the delta was choked with smoke and the hobgoblin forces slowly came to life. Killing a few Hill Giants and Trolls proved to be no problem, but when the hordes of hobgoblin archers showed up the party began its fighting retreat. Three minutes into the combat the group of ten was facing 800 hobgoblin archers and by releasing solid sheets of arrows they were hitting the adventurers. Heinrich called in a massive blade barrier and sounded the retreat.

The group beat a hasty path back to their ship leaving the delta in chaos behind them. Sailing back towards Zandyrium, they unleashed one more maelstrom when they sailed past the old docks destroying the four new ships resting there. There was much celebration on the ship as the party members congratulated each other on numerous kills, but more importantly, setting back Boethricus’s ship-building capacity weeks and maybe longer.

A short stay in Zandyrium followed and it was decided to sail south to Thray. The adventurers had learned Thray was under attack from the massive fleet they had repelled from Zandyrium. During the sail down to Thray the group also learned via numerous sendings that Boethricus’s delta army was breaking camp and leaving. According to Rothlor, they were heading in different directions and he thought the army was perhaps breaking up.

The journey to Thray proved uneventful and the city itself looked to be in excellent shape as the group approached. Two fishermen in a boat were reeling in a large net full of fish. Wassabe hailed the pair, “Ho there friends – what news?”

“The city prospers and thanks to Ampyx our nets catch a thousand more snags,” one of the fishermen responded.

“It has been an age since I have been in your fair city. I was told it was enduring a mighty attack,” Wassabe replied.

“That it might have, but for Ampyx. Today we snag our nets on the masts of the evil fleet that assailed the gem of the coast due to his efforts.”

“What be an Ampyx?” Wassabe asked.

“He is a mighty wizard. Powerful as a god. Though that dire fleet inflicted grievous wounds on our proud navy, Ampyx delivered them with a firestorm of destruction. Faster than we can strike a sail, the enemy were in their watery grave.”

“I have to meet this guy,” Mercutio said.

“Thank ye men and blood on the hook ‘til evening,” Wassabe waved at the two fishermen.

“What did that mean?” Thoren asked Wassabe.

“Catch lots of fish,” Wassabe replied.

“I hope I get some blood on the axe,” Thoren replied with a smile.

To the surprise of no one, the group received a huge hassle at the docks. While they waited patiently for the dockmaster, Heinrich cast a sending to Captain Disod instructing him that it was safe to journey north. Captain Disod responded that he would meet the group at Thray in a couple of days.

A bit of bureaucratic nonsense and a quick bribe from Ginny let the party into the gem of the Thraegian Coast. While they were working their way through the unusual markets of Thray a giant albatross flew directly out of the afternoon sky towards the party. The bird landed near Mercutio, dropped a scroll and took off again.

“What sort of Thraegian portent is that?” Justinius wondered aloud.

Justinius bravely grabbed the scroll and read it.

Dear Friends,

I watched your performance at Zandyrium. Most impressive! I would be ever so delighted if you would honor me with a visit for supper this evening. My humble abode is currently located just two and one half miles west of the city gates on olive hill. I shall make it bright red so that you cannot miss it.

Admiringly your,

Ampyx of the Green Vale

“Are we going?” Heinrich asked.

“Oh please,” Mercutio started to answer, “you know I have to go.”

“Very well,” Justinius replied. “I will go as well. Who am I to miss a free meal.”

The group nodded in agreement. Realizing that Captain Disod was at least a couple of days away in any case they all decided to go to meet the great Ampyx.

To be continued…

Remove ads