pogre's story hour Zandyrium -episode 66- (5/10/2006) A short update.

Scorch

Explorer
Neat Dragon!

I love that dragon! I enjoyed your posting on the art thread showing how you built it. The flame gout is inspired.

FYI, I bit the bullet and decided to start Live Journal posting some of my projects. Right now I am posting some of the dragon toys I have been mounting on six inch bases.

Check it out:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/gm_scorch/

Scorch

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 32

“We had better find a place to camp,” Heinrich suggested. “Let’s head back to the bedroom area we saw earlier.”

“What happened to teleporting out of here?” Wassabe asked.

“I do not have enough power to get us all out today,” Mercutio conceded.

The group retired to the bedroom and set up watches. The following morning the hall outside of the room had a grayish-black smoke clinging near the floor. The smoke had the distinctive odor of brimstone. The adventurers returned to the runes room and the ranger Githraldul found a fresh trail leading towards the room where they had slept the previous night.

“That means they were just outside our room,” Thoren stated.

“Or as you suggested earlier, we missed a secret passage,” Wassabe added.

Githraldul followed the trail into the passage, but the adventurers’ movements across the flagstone surface had obscured the trail. The elf began searching the passage very carefully. Finally he declared, “This is an illusionary wall.”

The group arrayed themselves into battle order and stepped through the barrier. They were immediately confronted by a Shield Guardian, which took a while to beat but caused no serious problems.

Mercutio cast Gust of Wind to clear the passageway from the lingering smoke. The sight ahead of them took their breath away. A huge column dominated the far side of the chamber. The column’s front was pulsing with energy and flame. Atop the column a young human female was chained and eviscerated allowing her blood to cascade down the structure. Next, to the column was heinous fiend with the lower torso of a great snake, an erinyes, and a human mage of some sort. The evil of the chamber was palpable, the countering good aura of the paladin Breygon allowed most of the adventurers to resist the fear washing over them. Unfortunately, it was too much for Thoren and he bolted from the room.

The evil creatures came out swinging and a Ray of Disintegrate barely missed Wassabe. The adventurers sustained a vicious barrage from the evil group, but once the Erinyes perished and Wassabe killed the mage the fiend decided he had enough. The creature slithered through the gate in the column and disappeared.

“What was that thing?” Mercutio asked.

“I think it was an aspect of Mammon,” Justinius answered. “I also think this is a foul portal to Hell itself.”

The adventurers tried numerous methods to destroy the column without success. They gave up and called on Ampyx for help. The wizard welcomed them and told them this would be the last time he would see them. He gave each member of the party a special gift, dismissed his massive red manse, destroyed the column and faded into the twilight.

The adventurers met with Disod, Captain of the Last Coin, who presented them with the impressive sum of 40,000 gold for their share of the ship’s profits from the last few months.

“And now, my good friends, I must say goodbye,” Captain Disod said.

“What do you mean?” Heinrich asked.

“I’m done. I’m retiring.” Captain Disod smiled broadly.

“Can you at least suggest a replacement?” Wassabe asked.

“I know of none. I am sure you will find someone worthy of your generosity. You have my heartfelt thanks friends – I will never forget you.”

Heinrich was preparing to protest that the Captain had left them in an impossible position when he received a sending:

From Silcrass the Aranea:
Thank you my friends! It is a beautiful spellbook that Ampyx gave me. I have dire news though. Come to the cave quickly!”

Heinrich passed this on to the other adventurers.

Wassabe paid for a room for Captain Disod to stay at the inn until at least morning so they could discuss his retirement plans.

Heinrich asked, “What should I tell Silcrass?”

As the group debated what to say in response another Sending came:

From Bishop Polariate, head of the Church of Siegphorus:
Rothlor missing. Emperor seeks council. Return to Zandyrium at earliest opportunity. Lord Heliophos wants a meeting. Inform on expected return time.

“We should go straight to Silcrass,” Mercutio announced.

“Hold on,” Heinrich frowned. “I just received more information.”

To be continued…

BSF

Explorer
Pogre,
You are mean. You are feeding the PCs too many things all at once. How can they possibly handle all of it at this moment?

Well, 'cause they are heroes right? ;)

I dig it. I wonder what the players thought about it though?

pogre

Legend
BSF - more choices coming ;)

Zandyrium
Episode 33

At Bison Cave a day’s ride from Zandyrium –

Silcrass the Aranea fawned over his mate, Neolepta as he waited for Heinrich’s response to his sending requesting an audience. He was certain the cleric would come and finally, Silcrass could reward him for the magnificent gifts they had bestowed upon him. First, they had saved his precious Neolepta, and now, they had delivered a formidable spellbook to him via one of the most powerful wizards in the northern world.

Heinrich returned the sending:
“Coming your way within the hour.”

Silcrass folded his arms in satisfaction. It was good to have friends, he thought.

Meanwhile, back in Thray –

“What about Captain Disod?” Wassabe complained.

“He is retired we will hire another,” Mercutio answered.

“I don’t think ye’ understand desert-foot, this is a grade-A captain with an eye fer’ merchandise. They don’t grow on trees,” Wassabe protested.

“Look Wassabe, I understand. I am loathe to give up on Captain Disod as well. However, we have other pressing matters and the captain does have a right to retire,” Heinrich said.

“Yer cookin’ the golden goose ‘ere mates. What could possibly be more important than our trading ventures?”

“We’re going to Bison Cave and then to Zandyrium,” Mercutio stated. “You’re welcome to come or go.”

“Ye’ know I’m coming. It’s just a shame that’s all.” Wassabe muttered something more under his breath, but ceased his discernable audible objections.

“It will take me a couple of trips,” Mercutio announced.

“Let’s get going then,” Thoren said.

Bison’s Cave –
“Wow Silcrass! This place is amazing!” Ginny exclaimed. A massive complex of web screens, tunnels, chambers, and sacks covered the entirety of the massive cavern complex.

“Thank you,” the Aranea replied modestly. He no longer bothered to change form in front of his friends. They seemed comfortable with his alien-arachnid appearance.

“You have been busy,” Mercutio agreed.

“How is your mate, Neolepta?” Justinius asked.

“She has completely recovered thanks to your help. She will be joining us shortly.” The Aranea waved a limb haphazardly towards a corner of the room. “She continues to work on the deeper chambers.”

“You are preparing to have children then,” Wassabe surmised.

“Err, yes,” Silcrass answered. “Neolepta is most excited at the prospect. Although the hormones are playing hell with her demeanor.”

{Note to readers: Two of us at the table were dealing with pregnant wives at the time and were intimately familiar with such mood swings. Justinius's (Hairy Minotaur) wife has given birth to a beautiful baby girl, Emily this past week.}

“I heard that,” Neolepta’s feminine voice drifted down from above. Neolepta had assumed the form of a beautiful fey in a sweeping gown.

Silcrass chuckled.

“My friend, we would love to stay and visit, but you said you had pressing news?” Heinrich said.

“It’s true,” Silcrass confirmed. “A fortnight ago, a friend of yours by the name of Rothlor came to my lair. He said it was critical that he contact you and asked if I knew where you were at that moment. I admitted that I did not, but offered to make a sending. He refused; apparently concerned it might be intercepted. He mentioned a fear of a diabolical influence in the emperor’s government.”

“What sort of influence?” Justinius asked.

“He would not say,” Silcrass answered. “He was most interested in passing information along to you. He felt sure he was going to be sent off on a wild goose chase to get him out of the way.”

“That explains the sending from your temple,” Ginny suggested.

“Not necessarily,” Heinrich retorted.

“I fear your friend may be in serious trouble,” Silcrass said.

“I agree, which is why I must go to my temple immediately,” Heinrich declared.

“Why do I feel like a fish in a net?” Wassabe whispered to Thoren.

To be continued…

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Thanks Ledded!

Zandyrium
Episode 34

Mercutio teleported Heinrich, Justinius, and Wassabe to Zandyrium. Heinrich left directly to meet with his bishop.

“What news Father Polariate?” Heinrich asked.

“None, I’m afraid at least from Rothlor,” the bishop answered. “The Imperial Guard forced Rothlor to accompany a trade caravan bound for Kalcedon.”

Kalcedon was the last large human settlement to the north. It had been sacked in the last year by the forces of Boethricus and reportedly most of the populace killed.

“Kalcedon?” Heinrich asked.

“Yes, we received a trade caravan from that fair city a month ago. The emperor is most anxious to re-establish trade routes to the north and restore normalcy. Most of his council are now of the opinion that the hobgoblin invasion is over.”

“That’s what they are calling it? The Hobgoblin invasion?” Heinrich could scarcely believe the council’s optimistic misnomer.

Bishop Prolariate smiled. “Take a deep breath young cleric. You are on the edge of anger and hysteria. We men are shortsighted creatures and quick political developments are part of our nature. Apparently, a group of resistance fighters in Kalcedon have retaken the city and the Hobgoblins have abandoned the city.”

“This all makes no sense,” Heinrich tapped his forehead for emphasis. “Boethricus creates three of the largest armies in the world. He sweeps over the northern hemisphere, destroying half the dwarven population in the bargain, and then he gives up?”

“Your stand here against his fleet and the blow against his camp in the delta played a part,” Bishop Polariate began.

“No, no, no,” Heinrich muttered. “He had powerful allies, including fiends that could easily dispatch me and all of my comrades. It does not fit together.”

“Perhaps the fiends are the clue. Boethricus is no longer in the world.”

“I am aware of that,” Heinrich admitted.

“Where would he be then?” the bishop countered.

“I have considered the possibility of his involvement in the eternal wars of Hell,” Heinrich stated. “However, he seemed to be serving Mammon so well.”

“Mammon?” Bishop Prolariate allowed an eyebrow to arch.

“We gathered significant evidence that Boethricus is a servant of the Arch-Devil Mammon. His works in this world must have pleased his new lord greatly.”

“Now, young cleric, I must caution you. To double guess or make conjectures concerning the politics of Hell is a dangerous thing at best. What should concern us is the fate of Rothlor.”

“Of course,” Heinrich agreed.

“The emperor’s council is preparing to meet with you and your companions. We should not keep them waiting.”

Mercutio managed to haul the rest of the group back into Zandyrium in time for the meeting with the emperor’s council.

The head of the Imperial Guard stood and asked, “What happened at Thray? What are the details of the attack there?”

“The fleet of Boethricus was destroyed by a powerful mage, named Ampyx,” Justinius announced.

The assembled council murmured in recognition of the name Ampyx.

“Given your view of the battle’s aftermath,” one of the generals began, “In your view, what is the best way to attack the city?”

“There is no good way,” Heinrich interjected. “Ampyx destroyed their entire fleet with one apparent spell.”

“So you cannot defeat this mage?” the general asked mockingly.

Heinrich was in a most painful predicament. Naturally, he knew that the mage Ampyx had ascended to the twilight. He also knew the Emperor had very serious designs on retaking Thray and the rest of the Thraegian Coast. His loyalties to his church and city were his first priority, but he also understood a war against the Thraegian Coast could be devastating. The war would leave both Zandyrium and Thray in much weaker conditions and perhaps primed for destruction by another force – like Boethricus.

He chose his words carefully. “If the mage Ampyx were to present himself for battle at his full strength, we would not stand even a remote chance of defeating him.”

Wassabe’s wide grin was annoying Heinrich to no end as he looked at the now silent council.

The group was given the assignment of finding the ranger Rothlor and dismissed.

Wassabe rubbed up against Heinrich on the way out, “That a way father.” He winked.

Heinrich just shook his head and proceeded out of the palace.

The Princess’s Barrel was a reassuring place to the adventurers that was immune to time and turmoil. The tavern was the closest thing to home any of them had at the moment.

“We need a new captain for The Last Coin,” Mercutio said.

“Ginny and me thought we’d ‘ead to the docks and see what there is to see,” Wassabe said.

“I’m coming,” Thoren stood up.

“Just make sure you run it by us before finalizing any deals,” Heinrich demanded.

“Course we will Heiny! I would not let a chance for you to use your new found guile pass by!” Wassabe winked at the cleric.

Heinrich felt the blood rush to his face.

“You did the right thing,” Justinius reassured Heinrich. “I must take my leave to do some research.”

“May I be of assistance?” Heinrich asked.

“Not at this point,” Justinius answered. “It is all fairly preliminary at this stage. I may take you up on that offer later though.”

“Very well, take good care,” Heinrich said.

Justinius left the Princess’s Barrel with his pack containing a tome he had discovered on their last adventure. He had told the rest of the party the book was not of significance and stashed it into his pack. The truth was, even with a preliminary glance, he could see the mind numbing powerful planar information the tome contained. A mere glance at the title would arouse the curiosity of any scholar:

The Binding and Use of Soul Larvae in Domination of Diabolical Minions

to be continued…

Malystrx

First Post
Oh, no I am going to have to reach in my coin pouch and pay off the Greatest and Most wonderful DM I have ever, ever played with for that silly remark (did I mention how great of a DM you are?) oh, boy am I in trouble! :uhoh:

Remove ads