Point Black Shot + Rapid Shot apply to whips?

MeanGenes

First Post
Do the PBS and RS feats apply to the whip/whip dagger? The feat descriptions say that they act on all ranged weapons, so I don't see why not. If this is true, combining those feats with the Lasher prestige class makes that class insanely powerful IMO.

Do you have to take the Precise Shot feat in order to not have to attack at -4 to hit opponents in melee?

Does strength bonus apply to the whip/whip dagger?

Finally, can you use whirlwind attack and cleave/great cleave in a 15 foot area since that is the range of the whip?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Do the PBS and RS feats apply to the whip/whip dagger?

Yes.

Do you have to take the Precise Shot feat in order to not have to attack at -4 to hit opponents in melee?

Yes.

Does strength bonus apply to the whip/whip dagger?

You use your Dex bonus for the attack. Sword and Fist has "Mighty" versions of the Whip and Whip Dagger - like composite bows - which allow up to a certain amount of strength bonus to apply to damage.

I'm not sure about that one myself - I think it sounds kinda silly. But they're there.

Finally, can you use whirlwind attack and cleave/great cleave in a 15 foot area since that is the range of the whip?

I'm not sure how Lashers work, but generally, no. Cleave and Whirlwind Attack both use melee attacks, and a whip is a ranged attack. If Lashers somehow use whips as melee weapons, then maybe. But if they just have abilities that let them make AoOs or not draw AoOs using a whip, then they're still making ranged attacks, so no Cleaving or Whirlwinding.

-Hyp.

Crothian

First Post
Whips are ranged weapons, all ranged weapons feats apply to them. You do not get your strength bonus except with a mighty whip.

Cleave and whirlwind attack apply only to melee weapons, not ranged weapons.

Lashers allow you to threatening the spaces around him, and allow them to commit AoO, but I still don't think that would allow Cleave and Whirlwind.

MeanGenes

First Post
according to S&F:

"Whip Lash: The lasher can make attacks of opportunity with his whip or whip dagger against foes within 5 feet as if it were a melee weapon."

Since you now threaten 5 feet, the whip is now acting like a melee weapon...So now we're in the weird realm of a quasi-melee weapon. I'll ask the sage about this. I doubt I'll get a response though. He almost never answers my emails.

Orco42

First Post
I've got a lasher in my party. He is pretty nasty. The only feat I did not let him get is Far Shot.

By the rules it is legal but I just don't know how you could explane that your whip gets longer when you get the feat. ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"Whip Lash: The lasher can make attacks of opportunity with his whip or whip dagger against foes within 5 feet as if it were a melee weapon."

Since you now threaten 5 feet, the whip is now acting like a melee weapon...So now we're in the weird realm of a quasi-melee weapon.

I would say it's only for the purposes of AoOs that it counts - "as if it were a melee weapon", since an AoO can only be made as a melee attack.

If it counted for any other purpose, then all they would need to say is "A Lasher may use a whip as a melee weapon", possibly with a "no reach" clause, which would then cover AoOs as well as things like Cleave.

-Hyp.

Albereth

First Post
Orco42 said:
I've got a lasher in my party. He is pretty nasty. The only feat I did not let him get is Far Shot.

By the rules it is legal but I just don't know how you could explane that your whip gets longer when you get the feat. ;)

The whip is made out of rubber and elongates during the attack, but only if you have teh Far Shot Feat :D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...

Simplest way to fit it into the rules is to declare that the whip has no range increment, since its special rules give it a maximum range on no range penalties.

Far shot increases the range increment of a weapon - if you read the whip's special rules to imply that it has no range increment, then there's nothing to increase.

Involves the least massaging of rules to make it fit :)

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Alternatively, you could let him use the feat with the whip, increasing its range increment to 22.5 feet... but the special rules still limit it to a maximum range of 15 feet, regardless of its range increment.

That doesn't even involve any bending of any rules :)

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
MeanGenes said:

No, for two reasons:
* These require melee weapons, which whips aren't - even for lashers
* Whirlwind Attack is limited to 5 feet, regardless of the weapon. Even spiked chains don't let you Whirlwind in a 10' radius.

Remove ads