• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Point Buy vs Rolling for Stats

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Wow! I thought we had to be 18 to post on this site.

Sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting, "LA LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" is not a credible debating position.

Especially when "Deflect! Deflect!" is exactly what he's doing to avoid the questions. You've also stated that your position is your opinions about the situation. You shouldn't have to say it in each and every post. After dozens of posts, it should just be understood that you are stating your opinions about the various types of stat generation.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
If you want me to think that you are not a troll, then making a trollish statement is not the way to do it.

You vastly overestimate how much I care about what you think of me. :)

You understand English, and I don't think you're retarded, so you understood definition provided.

I certainly did understand. You, not so much.

So long as rolling is involved, the situation was not unsatisfactory or unacceptable to @Ariel Black. He can hate point buy all he wants and he'll still find the stat generation rules satisfactory and acceptable, so no complaining is possible.

Exactly - Arial stated that the only games they are currently playing are AL games. That would be "Adventure League" games. Guess what you don't get to do in Adventure League? That's right - you don't get to roll your stats! Point buy or standard array are the only allowed methods of character generation.

So by the definition you provided and the requirements you laid out, Arial is complaining because they talk about how much they hate point buy, even though that is all they can use the in game they are playing.

So take your name calling elsewhere. :)

Last edited:

smbakeresq

Explorer
After all the heated debate through all the forums it all boils down to this:

1. Players don’t trust other players to roll their stats for fear of cheating and

2. Someone else will have better stats then them (this is most important!!)

I have said many time the way to avoid all problems of rolling for stats is to have the first session of your gaming group be your PC creation session and adventure to level 2 session (or maybe level 3, it can go fast.). Everyone rolls right there (4d6-L has worked for 30 years) in front of everyone, so cheating and jealousy is resolved. All you need to bring to your group is your PC concept, all on a sheet with blank spaces for the numbers.

Everyone can build PC right there, talk about the group dynamic, whose covering what role, background, what PC life goal is, etc. The first session is where PC meet each other anyway. This builds a group, especially if breaking in a new player, either to the group or the game itself.

Doing this eliminates all problems IME, have been doing it for a while. At my advanced age in my group now the build session is over emails and the DM sends you a stat array or we use hamate dice server to ship one out.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You vastly overestimate how much I care about what you think of me. :)

Not really. If you cared, you wouldn't troll so much.

I certainly did understand. You, not so much.

LOL

Exactly - Arial stated that the only games they are currently playing are AL games. That would be "Adventure League" games. Guess what you don't get to do in Adventure League? That's right - you don't get to roll your stats! Point buy or standard array are the only allowed methods of character generation.

This is by choice. If you are choosing something, it is by definition acceptable or satisfactory.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Not really. If you cared, you wouldn't troll so much.

Ah, more name calling. Pretty much what I've come to expect from you though. Also, I don't think you said exactly what you meant to say here. :)

This is by choice. If you are choosing something, it is by definition acceptable or satisfactory.

First you said "Now, if rolling wasn't an option and he came here saying that he hates point buy, THEN it would be a complaint."

So, I pointed out that by Arials own admission, rolling wasn't an option.

Then you said "So long as rolling is involved, the situation was not unsatisfactory or unacceptable to @Ariel Black." - I pointed out that rolling is not involved.

You immediately change your story and try to pretend you never said that. Now rolling doesn't need to be involved at all for it to be acceptable. :)

Since you insist on arguing in bad faith, I think we are done here. You lose. :)

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I have said many time the way to avoid all problems of rolling for stats is to have the first session of your gaming group be your PC creation session and adventure to level 2 session (or maybe level 3, it can go fast.). Everyone rolls right there (4d6-L has worked for 30 years) in front of everyone, so cheating and jealousy is resolved. All you need to bring to your group is your PC concept, all on a sheet with blank spaces for the numbers.

This does absolutely nothing to address problem #2 - the one you said was most important (with three exclamation points!)

You could also just use point buy - I've been doing this for years and it's eliminated all the problems I have.

The real solution is to just use whichever method your group prefers and stop telling other people what the "right" way to play the game is. :p

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ah, more name calling. Pretty much what I've come to expect from you though. Also, I don't think you said exactly what you meant to say here. :)

Do you see me saying this to other people? There's a reason for that.

First you said "Now, if rolling wasn't an option and he came here saying that he hates point buy, THEN it would be a complaint."

So, I pointed out that by Arials own admission, rolling wasn't an option.

It is an option. He has opted not to play in a game that uses it and has opted into one with point buys and arrays.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Do you see me saying this to other people? There's a reason for that.

It is an option. He has opted not to play in a game that uses it and has opted into one with point buys and arrays.

Sad. Face it, you are wrong. All your word twisting doesn't change that. We are done here. Bye. :)

Oofta

Legend
So where is that starting point? If it's after character creation when game play begins, then you are not giving your PCs an even starting point, so an even starting point is a pipe dream. If the starting point is the rules for character creation, then rolling has an even starting point as well. 4d6 minus the lowest for everyone is an absolutely even starting point.

I ... I just can't. Declaring something "even" just because you want it to be ... there's no arguing with that.

If you like people starting out with unequal ability scores, that's fine. Just admit the obvious fact. The whole point of randomizing ability scores is to have uneven results.

Most die rolls will average out over time, a one time roll of the dice never will.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads