Point Buy

Eolin

Explorer
Hi.

I know this has been asked recently, but i can't find the thread. And i checked back five pages.

Here's the question: What's a normal point buy? iirc, the dmg suggests 25 points, but i want to know what people actually use.

Thanks.

Ibram

First Post
I use 75, but thats with all stats being at 0, no stat can be over 18 or under 8 before racial modifiers are added.

after thinking about it I'd say that I use a 27 pt buy with a baseline of 8 for each stat.

Last edited:

Lhorgrim

Explorer
My group uses a 28 point buy. That is what is usually used for Living Greyhawk campaigns. I find it gives us good stats, while leaving room for meaningful advancement in primary attributes.

shoplifter

First Post
I use 32 for FR, and 28 for most other settings I've used. I generally don't like 25 point buy since it makes Paladins and Monks more difficult to make, but in some settings it's perfectly fine.

I prefer 28 since it still forces players to make decisions and they charcters are still 'special' when compared to mooks.

32 points
-----
Dawnforge
FR (though my current game is using 28 with great success)

28 points
--------
Greyhawk
Kalamar
Eberron
Midnight (though I might consider 25 there)
Scarred Lands
Wilderlands
Iron Kingdoms

Kalendraf

Explorer
25 points is standard, I believe.

My main campaign uses 27 points with a slight modification. After spending all of your points, 3 random unique stats are raised +1. This winds up leading to a slight bit more variation. It also has a tendency to lead to a few more odd stats which seems more realistic as well. Otherwise, it seems like characters are always made with even stats to min/max the best bonuses.

Kugar

First Post
I was using 28 so my players could make PCs at home, but there is a lot of "Common build" problem. We moved back to 4d6 drop the lowest because everyone loves the thrill of rolling that 18 stat.

Remove ads