Point Buy

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Zappo said:
I use 25 points. When I want to make a high-powered game, I'd rather start people above 1st level.

This is exactly what we do.

I find that 25 point buy encourages the players to stick together as a group and that when my friend DMs with 32 point buy, the characters tend to wander in different directions.

escherblacksmith

First Post
I have used :

25, 28, 32, 36.

Which one to use depends on the power of the character you want. If you want a high-powered campaign you use 36. If you want one that more closely resembles 3d6 (allegedly), then use 25.

28 is the most common I have used recently.

There are approx. a billion other variations that I have heard of as well. But these are the simplest.

takyris

First Post
I try to go for 25 most times, but my players vastly prefer 28. They say they want even more, of course, but I don't actually think they enjoyed the times we've used 30 or 32. But it's definitely going to be a group-preference deal.

Mr. Kaze

First Post
We use 30-PB. But I don't advise that you give PCs 30 points with Savage Species characters -- their stats get overwhelming very fast.

::Kaze

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Our group tends to go with 32 points.

Our long running game started at 28, but the DM later decided that was too deadly for the type of game he runs, so gave out some stat boosts (Constitution, then much later Wisdom). Nowadays, if we have a new player joining the game, they start at 32points.

Now, we've also had a 52 point game, but that was a converted from 2e Planescape game that started with "rolled" stats. When we figured out everyone's point buy, the low in the group was a 42 point character. Everyone else was 50 or above.

Remove ads