Point Buy

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Point buy...

25-point buy is the standard that WotC used to make the iconic characters. But I seem to recall that someone figured out mathematically that the 4d6-drop-the-lowest-arrange-as-desired method gives you, on average, 30 points...but only if you use the rule for "hopeless" characters. So if you want a method that will give you "average" characters (which is to say, average for the standard rolling method), I think 30 is the way to go. I tend to use 32, myself.

Conaill

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
25-point buy is the standard that WotC used to make the iconic characters. But I seem to recall that someone figured out mathematically that the 4d6-drop-the-lowest-arrange-as-desired method gives you, on average, 30 points...but only if you use the rule for "hopeless" characters.
True, but a hand-optimised 30 pt character will be quite a bit more powerful than a rolled 30 pt character. To start with, you can probably wring out an extra +3 or so in stat modifiers. On top of that, you can pick a stat distribution that best fit your character concept, so you'll never be forced to play a Ftr with all 12's and 13's, or a Mnk or Pal with only a single high stat.

What this boils down to is that 4d6 rolled characters are on average about as powerful as a hand-designed point-buy character with quite a bit less than 30 points. 25 sounds about right. I'd gladly pick 28 points over standard 4d6-drop-lowest any time. (Unless your DM is a real pushover when it comes to rerolling bad stats, of course. Then again, I wouldn't call that "standard" 4d6 anyway.)

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
In games where I can get the players to stop crying about not being able to "But I rolled it, honest!" generate characters with their lowest stat a 14; I perefer 32 point buy for the style of game I run.

That being said, I play in a homebrew where we started at 25 point buy. It's been an interesting, but fun, switch.

heimdall

Dwarven Guardian
I decided on 28 for my game and it has worked out pretty well. The fighter can smack just about anything, the evoker hammers for effect, the cleric would be okay if he'd ever make a decent roll, the ranger has done well. About the only one who is having a struggle right now is the psion, but he just remade his character with the new XPH rules and it's probably more adjusting to that than anything as we were formerly Mindscapes.

shilsen

Adventurer
Not exactly point buy:

I allow 80 pts to be divided between the six abilities, with no more than a single 18 and no scores below 8 before racial modifiers.

My take is different from the DMG

25 pts. = low powered campaign
28 pts. = typical campaign
32 pts. = tougher campaign
36 pts. = high powered campaign

Li Shenron

Legend
We have used both 30 and 32.

A few considerations... :)

- point buy makes the players more comfortable IMXP, because they are not nervous about rolling unlucky scores which stick to your PC forever, and because every PC is equal; rolling methods still give some thrill, but we never felt any reason do use any other than the standard 4d6

- the game should work fine with 25 points, but with more you are able to qualify for more feat chains, which give more options

- if I want to power-up the PCs, I prefer to grant bonus feats

elmuthalleth

First Post
I use always 4D6 drop lowest , but I give the chance to reroll if the stats are under PHB standard or below average .

Never used the point buy , it gives characters too much standardized .

In the old days of D&D red box , I used 5d6 drop lowest for the main characteristic(s) and 4d6 for the others ...aahhhh---good old days

Remove ads