Points of Clarification

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
There appear to be some misconceptions people are believing in and potentially spreading about the general rules of the site and it's settings so I felt now is a good time for me to post a public clarification of them:

* Fighting may occur in The_Cage, The_Fighting_Pit, The_Clearing and The_Alleyway normally. If as part of an adventure it can occur in Carpe DM! or Ahoy! Adventure.
* Fighting may not occur in any of the social setting rooms aside from The_Cage so that means no fighting in The_Bazaar, The_Rotunda, The_Meeting_Place, The_Crossroads_Tavern or --The_Garden
* "Fighting" includes kicks at the head, picking up furniture to swing it at people, knees to the groin, fist to the face and just about anything else that you wouldn't do to a good friend that you don't want to be physically hurt.
Due to some recent confusion by individuals the tavern rules have been revised and short scuffles are no longer permitted, it may go for a single blow such as a shove or drink to the face and then be moved into the Clearing.
* There are no excuses for fighting in the non-fighting rooms. No plot line warrants it, no one is a special enough they're allowed to do it and no special occasion in your life makes you an exception to these rules.
* If you want to fight in a social setting, we have The_Cage, there are no excuses for fighting in any of the other social settings.

* If you feel a Magi (moderator) is acting in appropriately towards another patron or is not dealing fairly with you then you have exactly three options available to you to action on this matter:
1. You can email me, Gabriel, at gabriel@unlikely-heroes.com with the details of your complaint and I will investigate.
2. If your don't want to email me then you can email Siani at stormwind@oakstone-keep.com and she will investigate.
3. You can email both Siani and myself.
* If moderators are dealing with other players and you try to intervene, tell them they are being rude, that you don't feel the service is up to par, etc then you are harassing them and they can warn you as such.
* These warns can count towards your total and you can lose screen names over it or even be potentially blocked from the chat site if you repeatedly violate this rule.

* If at any point you find you are confused by the Code of Conduct, feel it is unclear or otherwise inadequate then it is your responsibility to request clarification on these boards and err on the side of caution until you get a definitive response from the Magi.
* "The CoC isn't clear on ...." is hence never a justification for any breach of the Code of Conduct.

* If you're still unclear on these or any other point, please feel free to ask for clarification in this thread.

cameroth

First Post
Rules are Rules

i for one have no problem following the set rules, but at the risk of sound like a smart mouth, i do have this to say. I realize that most the Magi are busy with the real world, just like me. But, most rules wouldnt be at risk of being broken if at least one Magi was able to be present at all times, or generally a good portion of the time. At least when player population is at its highest. There's that old saying, "give em an inch and they will take a mile." i whole heartedly believe in that saying..i'm not sure exactly what the fix is except taking more Magi applications..i would be willing to work for free if necessary as a Magi. i am on quite often, at least more than any other Magi i have seen..anyways, just a thought, hope i didnt hurt anyones feelings

Magi_Trelian

First Post
No feelings hurt here!

Back on Wizards of the Coast, we had designated shifts for the moderators, where they were supposed to show up "in uniform". Here, it's looser and maybe gotten a little too loose. Magi are on probabaly a lot more often than you think, but using their regular characters instead of under the "Magi" name. If something bad happens, the Magi version comes in. But if people are playing by the rules, then no need to show there's a Magi present, right? Except that it does provide a feeling of back-up and security for those that want to play by the rules but sometimes see others not doing so and getting away with it. (We're not around ALL the time. :p). And it gives people the opportunity to ask questions they might not want to bring up on the boards.

So, yes, I'll try to be in more often under the Magi name.

Magi_Siani

First Post
We intentionally adopted a sort of hands off approach to moderating the site. Part of this was because at Wizards the complaint was that we were always playing Big Brother and suppressing people with our presence. Part of it has to do with many of us being awfully busy IRL. Part is also because some of us like being on as something other than Magi. Most of us are on at least some of the time in non-Magi guise.

The idea was to let people play more or less unmolested and without feeling like they were being stalked or something. We may we have gone too far in this direction. I will appear on site more often IU myself, although this might not actually be something people will want to see. LOL

We don't jump on tiny stuff for the most part, we don't comb the logs looking for infractions, we enter those when we have a complaint or feel we have good reason for the most part. On the whole it has worked pretty well. We have less than a quarter of the Magi than we had WizOs, three times the number of rooms, and far less trouble on the whole.

Thanks for your input and no feelings harmed at all. :)

Siani

cameroth

First Post
well, i understand the whole OMG IT'S A MAGI!..lol..but i would think that would add to the rp flavor..seeing how the magi are like police anyways, why not rp it?

Shasf

First Post
those updated rules must be the new 4e rules for the site.. j/k

I like having magi on, they're interesting roleplayers to say the least, though I do wish Pou could show up for those really interesting conversations and her broom of doom.

as far as I know or have seen, there has been at least three fights that followed the tavern rules before these new changes to the rules, and before the fights got out of hand things were moved to the clearing, there have been many more conversations leading to fights but before any actual fighting occured they moved to the proper fighting area.

The new rule changes remind me of WotC when they had the rp rooms that didn't allow any fighting what so ever either if my memory serves, but the wizo population let a few things fly with the attitude of "boys will be boys" and if things got to far out of hand they gave a nice little reminder either through rping or in the private messages.

But, I guess this would be my two cents upon the entire thing, I'm not even sure they're needed, so please be kind and give them to the poor?

Tharivious

First Post
Magi_Siani said:
We intentionally adopted a sort of hands off approach to moderating the site. Part of this was because at Wizards the complaint was that we were always playing Big Brother and suppressing people with our presence.
Something which I never understood, personally. I always saw the staff tags as a helpful note to those getting acquainted with the site who was in charge and who could lend a hand if they needed pointers. Maybe that was just me. ;)

Remove ads