1E Poll - Best Old School Starting Adventure to Run for Teens

Which of these modules is best starting point for ADVENTURE?

• B3 (Palace of the Silver Princess)

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • B4 (The Lost City)

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • B5 (Horror on the Hill)

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • N1 (Against the Cult of the Reptile God)

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • T1 (The Village of Hommlet)

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • U1 (The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh)

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Heya,

So, due to popular demand here in the Stately Pleasure Dome of Xanadu, I've been thinking of running an old-school, AD&D (1e) campaign for a group of teens (7th/8th grade) who are already familiar with 5e.

Before getting to the poll, though, I'd like to remind everyone that the people on this forum are AWESOME and AMAZING! When I sent out a request for information earlier, not only did fellow forum denizen [MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION] respond, he helped out by going above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks to Blue, this campaign/ersatz attempt to learn Gygaxian vocabulary will be getting off the ground!

Thank you, Blue!

So anyway, I'm thinking of building up to X4/X5 (as I haven't run those in ages), but I'd like to start them at first level. We are playing standard rules, but can use the B (basic) modules.

I am including modules that I can and would want to run, but I am NOT including B1 and B2 since I just ran the 5e Goodman Games versions of those to try out a few months ago.

So, what say you all? What is the ideal starting adventure?

Choices-

B3 (Palace of the Silver Princess)
B4 (The Lost City)
B5 (Horror on the Hill)
N1 (Against the Cult of the Reptile God)
T1 (The Village of Hommlet)
U1 (The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh .... THE ORIGINAL!)

What say you? Explain in the comments!

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Option B, Tomb of Horrors.

But do it with level 1 PC's; there's less of a learning curve that way, and they're all going to die anyways, so...

Shiroiken

Adventurer
If you plan to continue with the other adventures, T1 is best leading into the Temple of Elemental Evil. That's a campaign unto itself. U1 is pretty good too if you detail out Saltmarsh, using it as a base of operations, then moving into U2 and U3. B3, B4, and N1 are good adventures, but they are self contained, preventing much adventure beyond themselves. I honestly don't remember B5, so no opinion on it.

Some other options to consider would be B1-9 In Search of Adventure, which is a mega-adventure that takes some of the best from B1-B9 (duh). It gives the party a home base and several adventure hooks (several of which lead into others), but it's done in a way that the players have to choose which adventures to pursue, because due to time and other adventurers, they can't all be done.

A good adventure for building off of, similar to B2 is The Secret of Bone Hill (L1). Not only does it provide several adventure points that can be expanded upon, but there are also followup adventures in L2 and L3.

Lidgar

Explorer
I also voted for T1, though B4 is a very close second.

If you want some serious old-school Gygaxian feel, then T1 it is IMO.

As you probably know, the boathouse is pretty darn deadly for 1st level characters as written (starting with the rotten drawbridge!), so either adjust accordingly or make sure you drop hints that discretion is the better part of valor...

aco175

Explorer
I voted Horror on the Hill since I recall it had a few good things like a dragon and ogres. I was going to say Hommlet because I like the pirate undead parts, but town adventures may not be for everyone and 1e town adventure ind of sucked, at least to me.

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Wot? No B1: in Search of the Unknown?
"I am including modules that I can and would want to run, but I am NOT including B1 and B2 since I just ran the 5e Goodman Games versions of those to try out a few months ago."

:)

So the results aren't that surprising to me so far, although I can't believe there isn't a single fan of B3!

I was originally thinking of either U2 or B4, but I might give T1 another look; I honestly haven't run that since ... um ... the 80s?

S'mon

Legend
Orange cover B3 is great for new players.

You could always use Hommlet, my 2nd choice, as the home base and bring in the Moathouse once the PCs are up a few levels.

Sacrosanct

Slayer of Keraptis
I voted Hommlet, because it's got everything a new group would need. Excellent town for base of operations with interesting key NPCs, and plenty of adventure areas nearby to supply lots of plot hooks (not even counting ToEE). And unlike, say, KotBL, the region and monster make up makes a lot more sense from a realistic standpoint. Not only is the town itself a great base of operations, but after taking over the moathouse, the PCs would have their own little mini keep they can repair and fortify (a great additional aspect of the game besides combat and one on one roleplaying)

akr71

Explorer
Doesn't matter which one you pick as long as you convince them all to roll up Dex based, rapier wielding gnome paladins. They'll be unstoppable!

Shiroiken

Adventurer
So the results aren't that surprising to me so far, although I can't believe there isn't a single fan of B3!
Well B3 is a good adventure, but not a great campaign launching point. You travel to an unknown realm where you try to free the palace, but once you succeed (and are rewarded), you go back to whence you came. It runs better as a 2nd or 3rd adventure since it takes the players out of their known area.

If you want to use it as a starting point, you could do so by having the immortal summing the PCs separately from various realms. This allows an RP scene where the players introduce each other. After the conclusion, you then ignore the part where the party goes home (either the immortal can't reopen the portals or another crisis arises), and instead you use the new area as their home base.

Elfcrusher

Adventurer
Doesn't matter which one you pick as long as you convince them all to roll up Dex based, rapier wielding gnome paladins. They'll be unstoppable!
I know right? How much would you pay to be able to get to these kids before the game starts and whisper, "Tell your DM that you really want to play a Gnome Paladin. Trust me on this one, kid. Here, have some free drugs."

Advertisement