• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: Best superhero flick?

What is the best superhero flick of all time?

• Batman Begins

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Incredibles

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • Spiderman

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • X Men

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Spiderman 2

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • X Men 2

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • Superman

Votes: 15 8.5%
  • Batman

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Other

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • Unbreakable

Votes: 7 4.0%

buzzard

First Post
The thread on Sky High has prompted me to get opinions as to the best Superhero movie of all time. I'll list the ones I consider worthy of consideration. Of course if you have a different preference, select other and post it.

I gave it to the Incredibles by a hair. But I do really like Batman Begins, X2 and Spiderman 2 a lot too; on any given day I could probably lean towards any of those four, depending on my mood.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
It's a tough decision between Spider-Man 2, X2, and Incredibles, but I finally had to give it to X2. Both X1 and 2 are just about the finest superhero movies made, but the others listed are right up there. Burton's Batman is about the weakest of the lot given, but save for that one I'd be hardpressed to rank the others. It would depend on my mood at the time.

buzzard

First Post
WayneLigon said:
It's a tough decision between Spider-Man 2, X2, and Incredibles, but I finally had to give it to X2. Both X1 and 2 are just about the finest superhero movies made, but the others listed are right up there. Burton's Batman is about the weakest of the lot given, but save for that one I'd be hardpressed to rank the others. It would depend on my mood at the time.

I agree that Burton's Batman is nothing to write home about, but in the context of when it was released, it was a big deal. That's why I included it.

buzzard

buzzard said:
I agree that Burton's Batman is nothing to write home about, but in the context of when it was released, it was a big deal. That's why I included it.
Yeah, it was a big, important and even a watershed movie for it's time, I think. Of course, it hasn't aged well, and it's legacy has been tainted by its really stupid sequels, unfortunately. Same thing with the older Christopher Reeves Superman movies; haven't aged well, and blasphemous monstrosities like Superman V: The Quest for Peace have kinda tarnished the image of the entire franchise.

Dark Jezter

First Post
buzzard said:

buzzard
Indeed. In fact, to this day it still remains one of the highest-grossing films ever. I remember vividly how big of a deal Batman was when it was first released. Everybody was talking about how cool it was.

Even though I've changed my position from several months back and now consider Batman Begins to be the better movie, there are still a few things about Burton's Batman that I like more:

- Jack Nicholson as the Joker ("Do I look like I'm joking?").
- Set and costume design.
- The wonderful score by Danny Elfman (much like how I've always associated the Man of Steel with John William's Superman score , I still associate Gotham's Dark Knight with Elfman's Batman score)
- Michael Keaton as Batman (I don't know why, but I just can't get behind Christian Bale as Batman)

See, I could never get behind either Jack Nicholsen or Michael Keaton in their roles, which is a big part of why the Burton Batman never really worked for me.

But, I concede that I'm definately in the minority on that one. And I like anything Danny Elfman does. Coincidentally (or not, probably) he's also behind the recent Hulk and Spiderman soundtracks; both soundtracks that I like a lot.

Remove ads