Poll: Do you allow special cohort?

Do you allow special cohort?

• Yes, everything goes.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Almost everything as long as it has no special power (celestials, demons...)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Only basic creatures (DMG races, awakened animals...)

• Only if it is common for the class (ie, Paladin dragon-rider...)

• Nothing allowed.

• Other.

abri

Mad Scientist
Following the "what do you allow?" serie.
IMC, I've had few PC with the leadership feat, so haven't seen any abuse. Even allowed a monk to have a wyrmling black dragon (Ps: IMC dragon don't have fixed alignement)...
As a player though, I often takes the leadership feat and have been known to have weird cohort with pages of background: a succubus (for NE fighter), a fang dragon ( for NG psion), a song dragon ( for N with G tendency Psy warrior), and an awakened dire wolf with barbarian level (for a NG barbarian)
So what do YOU allow in your campaign?

Berandor

lunatic
I voted for:
Only if it is common for the class (ie, Paladin dragon-rider...)

However, it would be more fitting if it said: if it is suitable for the character.

I wouldn't just allow everything, hands down - but if it fits for the character, I'm fine with it.

Berandor

Victim

First Post
It seems to me that the leadership levels required for most odd things, along with their more limited advancement, make special cohorts inferior to standard ones.

Vaxalon

First Post
True, victim, but how many cohorts can carry you around on their back all day long?

I love the idea of having flying mounts and if I'm ever a player I'm going to go in that direction.

Rackhir

Explorer
It depends on what is permitted as a special cohort. Dragons being the most likely to be abused special cohort. Most of the others are useful, but lack the potential for abuse that a normal cohort can have and generally are weaker than characters of the same Cohort Level.

I have a character that just got a griffon as a cohort, which is great (high mobility, decent senses, moderately tough), but there are a lot of limitations. Doesn't fit well into most dungeons, relatively limited combat potential (vs a 9th lv character cohort), lack of communicative ability... etc...

Compare that for example with the things a 9th lv cleric or wiz/sorc could do for you (buffs out to wazoo, heals on call, fireballs on demand...). A wiz/sorc or cleric is clearly pound for pound far more powerful as a cohort than any of the special cohorts are with the possible exception of a dragon.

I think the best thing to keep in mind when trying to make a decision is

How badly can this creature be abused?

Players with a half an ounce of wit can always come up with a good reason/explanation for why they have a huge ancient dragon as their cohort. Ultimately, you have to just look at "Can this thing fit in without distorting everything else?"

abri

Mad Scientist
Rackhir said:
It depends on what is permitted as a special cohort. Dragons being the most likely to be abused special cohort. Most of the others are useful, but lack the potential for abuse that a normal cohort can have and generally are weaker than characters of the same Cohort Level.

I have a character that just got a griffon as a cohort, which is great (high mobility, decent senses, moderately tough), but there are a lot of limitations. Doesn't fit well into most dungeons, relatively limited combat potential (vs a 9th lv character cohort), lack of communicative ability... etc...

Compare that for example with the things a 9th lv cleric or wiz/sorc could do for you (buffs out to wazoo, heals on call, fireballs on demand...). A wiz/sorc or cleric is clearly pound for pound far more powerful as a cohort than any of the special cohorts are with the possible exception of a dragon.

I think the best thing to keep in mind when trying to make a decision is

How badly can this creature be abused?

Players with a half an ounce of wit can always come up with a good reason/explanation for why they have a huge ancient dragon as their cohort. Ultimately, you have to just look at "Can this thing fit in without distorting everything else?"
I agree with you: taking a special cohort actually gives you less power than a normal one.
Actually even dragons: a young green dragon is equivalent to L9, and even at high level (15-17) you can only get young adult metallic dragons. At these level a L14-16 cleric is going to help you a lot more.
What I've found is that a lot of DM (but not the one I play with :)) won't allow most special cohort: they believe that they scare normal people away and as such could cause major problem in some campaign. I've never thought of it as a problem in my campaign (illusion spells, polymorph...), just needed some planning.
Surprisingly, I have yet to find a DM that doesn't allow dragon cohort!

Remove ads