Votes: 22 6.8%

Votes: 4 1.2%

Votes: 7 2.2%

Votes: 2 0.6%

Votes: 26 8.0%

Votes: 1 0.3%

Ourph

First Post
I definitely don't care. The advent of 4e won't wreck any of the fun I'm already having playing non-D&D RPGs. I'm not interested in a new edition of D&D, but I'm happy that others seem to be so excited about the announcement.

Odhanan

Adventurer
I voted '0'. I feel pretty good about 4E itself - the design philosophy surrounding it is exactly what I'd like to see happening to the game : streamlining, simplication, easier access for newbies, less book keeping, less prep time, more tactical options for non-spellcasting characters, more power sources, always something to do for spellcasters... et cetera.

I'm not excited about the D.I. though. I have problems with the rental of temporary, virtual content, with the tools supported with technology that's becoming obsolete just as fast as new technologies arise, and so on, so forth.

So I have ambivalent thoughts about the whole thing.

Goblyn

Explorer
I'm apprehensive. There's still so much I want to do with 3.x which won't get done if 4e turns out to be awesome; but then, if it sucks, then while sticking with my current version will be fine(I dont' buy new books very often anyway), it will no longer be supported. It will be kind of neat to know that 3.x as a system is now complete and finished so that any house rules won't be showing up in later books. Except the 'magic all the time' thing in 4e. Oddly, we just started a campaign with the houserule: all 0-level spells are at-will.

Mad Mac

First Post
I'd say I'm curious but ambivelent. I'm not really emotionally invested in the new edition one way or the other, but at least the news makes for some interesting reading/speculation. I'll probably end up at least getting the PHB, but I'm not itching to buy a bunch more D&D books for any edition at the moment.

marune

First Post
10 very happen.

I stoped playing 3.x months ago after a complete burnout of it.

I loved everybit of what I have heard&read since friday.

D&D 4E won't be my ideal RPG (look at what Ryan Dancey says about how concepts from Burning Wheel could be added to a mainstream RPG like D&D) but I'm sure it will be a better D&D than 3.x was.

The main difference between 4e design and 3e design is that the designers/producers have the courage to remove from the game ackward things that got a "sacred cow" status for no better reason than nostalgy.

Last edited:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I'm about a positive 7. I really need concrete details about my favourite areas of the game before I can be sure of how I feel, but my speculations on the subject based on what we know so far are optimistic.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I can't really answer this one -- I'm excited for everyone who is interested, and I have an academic interest myself, but I also don't plan on upgrading...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted "0."

CalicoDave said:

It's too soon to make any decisions. I've heard some stuff that sounds good; I've heard some stuff that sounds bad. I'll have to wait until it's out and people are playing it before deciding.

I agree- I'll pass judgement when I can hold the books in my hand.

Besides, just from a business perspective, 4Ed was inevitable as a product. If 4Ed is a success, 5Ed will be inevitable.

If, OTOH, 4Ed sinks like an anchor, then that (or a last gasp 5Ed) might signal the end of the commercial viability of a venerable game.

Remove ads