D&D 5E [Poll] How does your group do hit points per level?

How does your group handle hit points on level gain?

• Allow player to choose between rolling and average.

Votes: 53 43.8%
  • DM forces the player to roll.

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • DM forces the player to take average.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 25 20.7%

This is what I do. Maybe that makes me a wimpy Dm, but I just don't want the barbarian rolling 1's and having fewer hp than the wizard.

Heh. It is not wimpy IMHO. More hit points means more resilience and I apply the concept to NPCs and monster too. The HP in the MM are also the just the minimum and are usually higher than the default. Monsters in my campaigns can also spend their hit dice to heal during a short rest like PCs can.

Paraxis

Explorer
(Ack! Apologies: I hadn't meant to start a second similar poll. I just hadn't seen this this morning.)

It's fine by me, great minds think alike. Yours might be more friendly worded than mine is anyway, a couple people mentioned they don't like my wording of "DM forces".

Remathilis

Legend
Ooohh.. Use B/X with that and I'll play!

Heh, said player who did the complaining is still wondering why I won't run Pathfinder anymore, so that should further help you with his mindset...

That said, if I'm going (nu)retro, I'd use the Rules Cyclopedia or Basic Fantasy. (Primarily because I own both in paper form).

S'mon

Legend
Just curious how different groups handle hit point gain on level up.

I go by the book and put the choice in the hands of the player, they can roll the die and take the result (no minimum or re-rolls, DM challenge rolls, or any of that nonsense) or they can take the average rounded up.

You in the context of that passage is the player, so the game empowers them to make the choice.

So does your group let people choose between those two options? Does the DM in your group make you roll, or make you take the average? Does your group use some other option?

I strongly encourage my players to take the average as I prefer that for bookkeeping and consistency reasons, and because you round up it works out in their favor over the long term.

Same as you - I have one player who rolls and has well over average hp, the others take high-average.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Chose the closest option. Real answer: Group of players chose to take average before starting. I find the "DM forced" wording to be really biased.

Remove ads