D&D 5E [Poll] How does your group do hit points per level?

How does your group handle hit points on level gain?

• Allow player to choose between rolling and average.

Votes: 53 43.8%
  • DM forces the player to roll.

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • DM forces the player to take average.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 25 20.7%

Paraxis

Explorer
Just curious how different groups handle hit point gain on level up.

I go by the book and put the choice in the hands of the player, they can roll the die and take the result (no minimum or re-rolls, DM challenge rolls, or any of that nonsense) or they can take the average rounded up.

Each time you gain a level, you gain 1 additional Hit Die. Roll that Hit Die, add your Constitution modifier to the roll, and add the total to your hit point maximum. Alternatively, you can use the fixed value shown in your class entry, which is the average result of the die roll (rounded up). ~ pg 15 PHB

You in the context of that passage is the player, so the game empowers them to make the choice.

So does your group let people choose between those two options? Does the DM in your group make you roll, or make you take the average? Does your group use some other option?

I strongly encourage my players to take the average as I prefer that for bookkeeping and consistency reasons, and because you round up it works out in their favor over the long term.

delericho

Legend
I'm about to start my first real 5e campaign, and forgot to address this one. My strong preference is fixed hit points per level, but I guess if a player really wants to roll then he can.

But there's a trade-off there: if you choose to roll, you accept the risks involved, even if that means getting a '1'. And I expect players to play in good faith, which means no killing off a character just because you didn't get the stats/hit points that you wanted.

FireHammer

First Post
I left the choice between rolling and average, so far (4 players, 1st to 5th level) everybody has chosen the average. I guess they don't like the tension :)

Remathilis

Legend
Average. I all do point buy.

I have one player who complains every time we level up how PB/AHP takes the fun out of it. So I told him I'm doing 3d6 in order, rolled hp (even at first level) and rolled gold (no starting equipment) for my next game.

Its settled a bit more since then.

Remove ads