Poll: Irontooth Total Player Kill

Have you witnessed a Total Player Kill during the Irontooth encounter?

• Yes.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • No.

Votes: 76 36.4%
  • No, because I've NOT seen that encounter played.

Votes: 82 39.2%

Family

First Post
Seems a popular theme 'round these parts so I thought I'd "officially" ask.

EDIT: If you were the DM and "fudged" the encounter to prevent a TPK vote yes please.

Last edited:

Furry_Thing

First Post
The Warlord and Rogue (due mostly to suck rolls in the latter case) got taken out and it was a tough fight overall, but it wasn't what I'd call a near TPK. It was quite fun, actually. We learned from it, which made the rest of the encounters significantly easier (though the module was still quite challenging and enjoyable).

TacoSupreme

First Post
First time I ran it for my regular group they fled, I didn't even have Irontooth join the fight.

I ran it for a group of 4 a week later. I removed 2 skirmishers and 6 minions, they all died.

My original group went back in after resting to kill the remaining kobolds (everything in wave 2 was left) they lost their wizard, from uninjured to totally dead from the wyrmpriest breath and irontooth's bloodied damage.

jackston2

First Post
My players killed him, but its because everyone somehow managed to get a critical hit on each of their encounter powers and in addition, one player also got off a critical hit on a daily. Damage was being delivered like dvds.

Satha

Explorer
My players survived, due to a very lucky sleep spell laid on the Wyrmpriest before it could start picking them off with his Force Orb. He passed out the first round afterwords (got off his Breath Weapon before he fell asleep though hitting the Cleric and the Warlord) and he stayed asleep for the rest of the fight (rolled verrryyy poorly).

The Paladin dropped in the fight, but was quickly brought back due to some great teamwork. Though it was a tough fight all around, everyone ended with less than bloodied hit points.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Me and a friend had a playtest yesterday, he ran the standard 5 man team at the encounter (warlord, no cleric) and got bogged down in the south side tunnels and then Irontooth got involved and cut them to ribbons, even so it was fairly close, at one point the next hit would have dropped him. The real spoiler for them in the fight was that Wyrmpreist who shot them to bits.

My friend ranted for a little while, then we traded places and I had a go, I took a six man party in (cleric AND Warlord). After a hard fight we got to chase that *&*$ Wyrmpriest around the tunnels to finish him off. No losses on my part and everyone but the Wizard and the Fighter spent time on the floor (two deathmarks each for the Warlord and Rogue).

It's a hard fight, but my friend even while bitter about the overstatted encounter seemed to enjoy it. I now have a definite respect for the power of higher level monsters, particularly elites.

Spenser

First Post
I voted "yes", even though we technically survived. We got a surprise round on the guys beyond the waterfall, but basically wasted most of that round due to our own stupidity. We did okay against the first wave. Then when Irontooth and his buddies showed up, we blew all our dailies and got 4/5 misses.

We did take out Irontooth, but we only had wizard and a warlock up, against 1 wyrmpriest and 2 dragonshields, mostly undamaged. The DM then turned the situation into a 4/2 skill challenge to negotiate our way out. He fudged things a little to let the three 0-hp characters participate (apparently they were lying in a pool of blood on the floor, moaning but still conscious). Anyway, we got away, but if the kobolds wanted to kill us, they certainly could have. :) So for the purposes of this poll, I think this counts as a TPK.

Remove ads