POLL: NEW MESSAGE BOARD for PrCs & Alt. Core Classes?

Should there be a separate board for homebrewed PrC and variant core Classes?

• Yes, it would be a great idea idea. You're a genius!

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • No, things are perfect the way they are, you moron.

Votes: 26 54.2%

JDRay

First Post
Dagredhel said:
Well, in the first few days of polling, it seemed like the overwhelming opinion was that I was a moron. But the idea seems now to be gaining some support.

Oh, and by the way: *BUMP*

I wonder if it has something to do with people who would want something like this not being daily posters, therefore are taking a while to vote...???

Chacal

First Post
JDRay said:

I wonder if it has something to do with people who would want something like this not being daily posters, therefore are taking a while to vote...???

It's strange that people wanting a split of the forum for :rolleyes: increasing :rolleyes: feedback are not that eager to explain why and post in this thread.

Chacal

JDRay

First Post
Chacal said:

It's strange that people wanting a split of the forum for :rolleyes: increasing :rolleyes: feedback are not that eager to explain why and post in this thread.

Chacal

It's also strange that the "yeas"
icon14.gif
and the "nays"
icon13.gif
seem to be running neck-and-neck.

I, for one, am in favor of some sort of separate repository for PrCs. I don't see what the fuss is about having one more forum, though I'm down to browsing one (this one). I understand that those who monitor many may not want to add "yet another" to their watch list.

Still, there ought to be someplace that people can put their PrCs for later review, particularly considering the history of instability on this BBS with regard to message retention. I know it's not Morrus' fault, but it's a shame to waste good work, particularly at the whim of some ISP that doesn't know D20 from WD-40. The same could be said for spells, magic items, monsters, et al.

It strikes me that this is a subject that the folks over at FanCC would be interested in. Maybe we should get them involved in this discussion...

Chacal

First Post
JDRay said:

It's also strange that the "yeas"
icon14.gif
and the "nays"
icon13.gif
seem to be running neck-and-neck.

I put more value in a post, like yours, than in a click (ok , 2 clicks).

I, for one, am in favor of some sort of separate repository for PrCs. I don't see what the fuss is about having one more forum, though I'm down to browsing one (this one). I understand that those who monitor many may not want to add "yet another" to their watch list.

Besides the decreasing traffic problem, (and that means less feedback), I think that
it's conceptally wrong to separate PrC from the other house rules.
A PrC usually involves new abilities, feats, spells, so it's very tied to House rules and you don't want all the PrC makers and readers lose their synergy bonus , do you ? ;)

Still, there ought to be someplace that people can put their PrCs for later review, particularly considering the history of instability on this BBS with regard to message retention.
I fail to see how a new forum would solve the "instability" problem. The House rule forum is not pruned like the D&D rules and General RPG Discussion, so everything posted (since the new boards ofcourse) is still there.
If it crashes, so will a PrC forum.

Chacal

JDRay

First Post
I wasn't necessarily talking about another forum, though I'm not necessarily against one either. What about some repository elsewhere on ENWorld?

I agree that PrCs are closely tied to house rules, as are any other type of house rule. I was just pondering that even the best new rules, PrCs included, get pushed to the bottom, or at least way down in the stack, so that people stop making comments on them or, worse, players can't use them because they can't find them.

Now, granted, there are search features on this site. But what do you do when you want to search for "that one really neat Bard that came through a couple of months ago?" Do you remember the author? No. Do a search for "Bard." What do you get? Every Bard PrC ever posted, as well as every "RE: Whaddya think of my new Bard?" -- "I think it's stupid," post that's out there.

The same can be said for spells, feats, weapons, economic rules, and the rest.

Would a central repository for house rules completely solve this problem? No. Would it help? Yes. Would it get the same level of comment that a post to this forum would? No. Would there be abuse? Yes. Would such a thing be easy to maintain? No. With some effort, could it be cool? Yes.

I don't know if I'm doing anything more than rambling. I do know that I've been affected by not being able to keep track of rules that I like. Maybe something so simple as a "mark this as something I want to keep track of" feature for the user on this forum would help. I wonder if the UBB guys have such a thing...

Thoughts...?

fba827

Adventurer
JDRay said:
Maybe something so simple as a "mark this as something I want to keep track of" feature for the user on this forum would help. I wonder if the UBB guys have such a thing...

There is such a feature - I use it all the time. :)

At the bottom of any thread, there is a link that says "Subscribe to this thread"

Once it has been "Subscribed to" anytime you go to your User Control Panel (found in a button at the top of almost any page) you will see links (and forums, if you want a custom index of the discussion boards you go to)

Though, if the link you've subscribed to hasn't received an update after X number of days, it goes from that front page list of subscribed threads to the secondary page (you get there by clicking on the thing that says "Show all subscribed thread"

I hope that made sense - I am terrible at giving technical directions...

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
There will be something like this in the FaNCC hosted here on ENworld when teh NetBook of Classes gets online adn we get a section in teh FaNCC Message Board section...

Pop along to the FaNCC and take a look at the NetBooks there, maybe contact the NBoClasses to espress your intrest in this to try and hurry it along a little.. ;)

Remove ads