Poll: What type of campaign style do you prefer?

What type of campaign style do you prefer?

• Episodic (little if anything carries from session to session)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ongoing storyarc (everything is connected)

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Mixture (think Buffy, Angel, or the X-Files)

Votes: 14 46.7%

Henry

Autoexreginated
It's funny, but I think shows like Buffy take more from D&D than anything (or Call of Cthulhu for a more accurate analogy)...

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Depends on your definition of 'episodic', really. :)

My group is running a series of off-the shelf adventures. Now, these adventures do last from session to session until they are finished, but there is no continuity between that adventure and the next one we run. We usually are switching characters for each new module.

We're hip deep in RttToEE, and I'm about to start Rappan Athuk on my night. Then there may be a Rokugan campaign actually started by the guy who steps up after 'Return...' is finished, but when I'm done I plan to run the Witchfire Trilogy, which is sorta more campaign-y, IMO.

That said, I would love to run a full out campaign, from 1st to 20th (and maybe beyond) and started that way but found myself grinding to a hault when they hit 6th level - both adventure wise and campaign world (a homebrew) wise. I think I took on too much to start out with. And I wanted to do a story arc, with all the adventures leading up to something. Again, too much for me to do at once.

Which is why I think a blend, the Angel/Buffy/Smallville/TV type that does have an overarching plot but still has plug in eppies that are mostly stand-alone and don't push the main parts of the story forward is ideal. Kinda like the world you run has the main, custom-built adventures for the big theme, but then you add in adventures from Dungeon or a purchased module to fill up the blanks inbetween (and give your noggin a break).

I agree with Ashtal; it's too hard to do the full-bore campaign, and sometimes the players need a break from it anyway. It's also, IMO, less satisfying to simply run one-offs.

The big mega-adventures, or serialized adventures may be a good compromise, too. Although I've never really been a fan of published adventures, I'm kinda in the mood to run through the entire Witchfire Trilogy, for example, change characters and then run the Freeport quad..., err four-part-series, change characters again and do the Temple of Elemental Evil or Rappan Athuk, etc.

Last edited:

SableWyvern

Adventurer
I said ongoing, but there are always some side-plots that don't connect up with the main thread. Sometimes, especially early in a campaign, I don't even know which minor plot hooks will become part of the major one.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
I agree with Ashtal; it's too hard to do the full-bore campaign, and sometimes the players need a break from it anyway. It's also, IMO, less satisfying to simply run one-offs.

The big mega-adventures, or serialized adventures may be a good compromise, too. Although I've never really been a fan of published adventures, I'm kinda in the mood to run through the entire Witchfire Trilogy, for example, change characters and then run the Freeport quad..., err four-part-series

The word you want is "tetralogy" - it uses the greek, not the Latin.

If you're going to do Freeport, though, it might be best to only do the first three. Hell in Freeport isn't actually connected with the others by way of plotline, and there's a big jump in required levels between Madness and Hell. You'd have to either do some fill-in adventures or just boost the characters up 4-5 levels.

J

Remove ads