Poll: WWYD if You had Your Fav Character’s Powers in the Real World?

WWYD if You had Your Fav Character’s Powers in the Real World?

• Be completely open, and seek out fame!

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Don’t hide my abilities, but don’t go out of my way to expose myself either.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Low-key keep my mouth shut until I’m strong enough to defend myself.

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Full on Masquerade. I keep my secrets, secret, even after I gain power.

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • This choice is just for spacing!

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • My powers, my privilege. I only use my power to help myself.

• I’ll use my abilities to help others, but only if it’s safe or I benefit in some way.

• Noblesse Oblige. I have power, and I feel I should use it to help, even if it endangers me.

Votes: 20 52.6%

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Considering that my favourite character is 6'6" and female. I am not sure how I could maintain the masquerade. Elf ranger Wizard (originally statted in Palladium) but subsequently statted in various editions of D&D since third over the years. Currently do not have any disguise spells.
Would be very tempted to go and get the prize for proving to the Sceptics that magic is real. I would also be interested in experimenting with the physics of magic.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Some people seem to have missed the part about starting at level 1. As for me, I don't really have a favorite character. More of a favorite type. (Some healing, some Wizard type spells, a fair number of skills. So probably a Bard.)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Some people seem to have missed the part about starting at level 1. As for me, I don't really have a favorite character. More of a favorite type. (Some healing, some Wizard type spells, a fair number of skills. So probably a Bard.)
Ok, missed that, in that case anyone not human could not really enable the masquerade.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I spend too much time thinking about this, to the extent it's probably unhealthy.

In D&D 3.PF terms, I am a "human" Gestalt Druid|Witch using the Rogue Genius Guide to the Talented (Druid/Witch) rules-- I am basically a cross between a Synergist Witch and a Visitor Druid, but I'm taking a hit to Druid spellcasting early to start with animal companion, enhanced senses, and alien form. We're pretending I am Chaotic Neutral for legal purposes.

So I'm a little bit psionic and can manifest a very basic mind blade, I can cast 1st level Witch spells spontaneously (I lean on charm person and cure light wounds), and I've got a deinonychus animal companion and a compsognathus familiar, and I have a couple of significant tricks to pick leftover from either class.

At this level, I'm mostly just healing people where I can-- cure wounds is less useful in real life than you'd imagine-- and gaining levels by picking people that deserve to be happened to, and happening to them. By the time I can start pushing this verse past its tippy point, it'll be interesting to see who's cheering me on.

---

Less confusing and less horrifying, Eldritch Scion (Draconic) Magus | Archeologist Bard. Lots of 3.5 Draconic feats. Since I can't ride the Suicide Express, I'll go Elan... and since I'm already psionic, hey, mind blade feats.

---

Marvel?

First things first, I am a supervillain. Doesn't matter that I'm trying to make the world a better place for most people, if you look at whom I'm attacking and who rushes to their defense, I'm the guy who loses in the end but gets all the fangirls anyway. Even when I'm not actually hurting anyone... somehow, I'm going to be on the wrong side of the law and all of the renegade, fugitive, illegal vigilantes upholding it.

I am your classic Malign Hypercognition Disorder supergenius supervillain-- I'm not sure I'm enjoying this game anymore-- who has finally realized that I'm not better equipped to properly rule the world than the people I know are doing it wrong... so my goal is to create a world that the unworthy will find ungovernable. I've got an unhealthy interest in eugenics, but I'm actively opposed to... both the real-world reasons it was a villainous pursuit, and the comic book reasons why it's a villainous pursuit.

So... my starting powerset is just a d10 superintelligence, but I've developed techniques for microcloning and viral genetic modification for the duplication of mutant/mutate abilities. Which I would use irresponsibly, for a price, to fund my ability to use it irresponsibly and indiscriminately.

Who does that make me the enemy of? Spider-Man, of course. The X-Men and the Brotherhood. The Weapon X Program. Coincidentally... which superhumans have the most of their biological tissues and genetic coding available on the black market? This... also... puts me on the radar of the Jackal and Mister Sinister.

I'm basically a Weapon X knockoff Spider-Man with sub-omega psionics and a smattering of ridiculous minor powers, like hyperlinguistics.

My name is Doctor Apotheosis, and I run a sketchy off-the-books "adoption" agency.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I didn’t see an option to rule the world.. in fear and terror
That's the problem with ruling the world, "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown" and all that....

Having to read the Evil Overlord list. I mean where are you going to find a 5 year old these days with time on their hands to review your plans. They are all to busy on TIKTok or summat.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
If I woke up in that situation I'd really only have one choice: I'd crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of their [families].

Ulfgeir

Hero
Well, I would either wake up with either one of these three (they are my favourite characters. Which is the specific favourite depends on my mood):

* Having divination-powers and the power to cast spells (the character was a focused practitioner (witch) in Dresden files, specializing in divination). The drawback would be that I would probably not be able to continue with my current job as IT-technician, as the magic in that setting doesn't play nice with sensitive electronics.

* A speedster martial artist in Mutants & Masterminds 2e with near wolverine-level of regen.

* A world-class dexterity and stamina, as well as always knowing the direction to things, and being able to retrace my steps, and being able to find individuals. This was in Scion 2e. The character was a ballerina who was the daughter of Skadi.

Lycurgon

Adventurer
Waking up as a Goblin Celestial Warlock would make life challenging. First obstacle to overcome would be not having any clothes designed for my new size. I would have to hide my appearance but having agreed to be good in exchange for power I would have to do what I could to help others. Getting to 2nd level would probably be the hardest because I would need to hide my appearance from everyone. But once I got to 2nd hiding doing that becomes much easier when I'd gain at will disguise self, so I'd be able to appear like a small human, either a child or a person with dwarfism. I'd have to test if it worked on camera or not.
I'd use healing to help the injured and look into fighting crime. Hard to drive a normal car when you are only 3' tall, so hard to get around.
I'd also have figure out how to make money too. Couldn't do my job so would have to look at alternative income. Maybe stealing from the criminals I defeat, living off their ill-gotten gains. I don't know, it would be hard adjusting to such a different life.
It would probably be easier if there were other people wakening as evil people and becoming open villains or a few monsters awakening too. Then it would be easier to come out as a hero, defending the powerless against the powerful. I'd still do it disguised as a human and use a different disguise for every day like.

Knowing the sorts of characters I often play (bards and clerics), I would have some sort of healing ability. Even a simple cure wounds spell has the potential to do such enormous good in the world.

If I end up a dwarf or tiefling (my most frequent choices), though, buying a whole new wardrobe is going to be a pain! Can we say it all magically changed with me?

Remove ads