• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Polymorph in 4E?

Wormwood

Adventurer
Li Shenron said:
It will be removed from the game entirely.

While that would be the *ideal* solution, they are probably going to go with a suite of discrete forms (troll form, dragon form, etc.)

ps. So long as Wild Shape has been completely trashed in favor of PHB2 Shapeshift, I will be happy.

Nebulous

Legend
Li Shenron said:
It will be removed from the game entirely.

Nah, i think it will be there myself. The magical act of transforming into another creature is just too much a staple of the genre. What i think they'll do is just severely limit the options you have. Even if they DID cut it, the spell would find its way back into the game somehow, somewhere, in some form, in a future expansion.

Stalker0

Legend
I think they will go with the limited form mechanics similar to that of summon monster. Still gives variety, but has tight reins of control so you don't get crazy with polymorph.

Or perhaps they will go with the astral construct model, and just have you pick features from a list.

Gort

Explorer
Yeah, they really need to limit it to a set number of forms rather than a sweeping guideline that amounts to basically all creatures past, present and future.

I really like the "one spell, one form" thing the polymorph subschool has going for it at the moment, since it allows the designers to identify how generally powerful a form is and assign it a cost based on that, as well as weeding out forms that are just too good for players to have.

F5

Explorer
Yeah, I can't see that they'll remove Polymorph from the game entirely. They'll be butchering some sacred cows, I'm sure, but this is one that will make it through in some way. There will be some mechanism for a caster to change shape, and they will most likely, for tradition's sake, call it "polymorph".

I think the changes to the Vancian magic system will play into it. If Polymorph is a per-encounter ability, you could still have it grant multiple forms...you'll just be stuck with one form for that encounter. When we actually see how the new magic system will work we'll be able to hypothesize better.

I think you would HAVE to go with one-spell-one-form, though...there would be no other way to balance the spell if each creature has unique abilities. I don't have a quote to back this up, but I'm remembering discussion from somewhere that monsters wouldn't be tied as tightly to HD as they are now; that you could have a tough monster without artificially bumping up its' HD. Thus, HD won't be a reliable method to base your available polymorph forms on. If there's a Polymorph: Troll and a Polymorph: Dragon and a Polymorph: Newt spell that are all at different levels, you don't have to worry about balancing multiple creatures with one spell.

I don't really LIKE it, but I don't see a better way. Maybe I'll be surprised.

frankthedm

First Post
Eldragon said:
tThe problem with the PHB2 and Spell Compendium polymorph spells is that there are very very limiting, mostly useless, and take many spells to get the job done that 1 spell did before.

I expect in 4e we have a single polymorph spell that scales with Level. The Higher the spell level used, the better creature you can be.

Pure Fantasy, totally made up:
Level 1: Any 1 HD animal.
Level 2: Any 2 HD Animal or vermin.
Level 25: Any 25 HD or less Animal, Vermin, plant, ... Dragon.
Not a chance, at least with the way things look to me with what has been said about 4E.

With all that is being said about 'class roles' casters will not become hitters with a few spells anymore. And given what has been said about MM monsters specificly intened to NOT be for PC hands, Spell compendium's & PhB2's Spells and Varients are the writing on the wall. As far as cracking oppen a new monster for a powerful new form, in 4E PCs can forgetaboutit.

F5 said:
I think you would HAVE to go with one-spell-one-form, though...there would be no other way to balance the spell if each creature has unique abilities. I don't have a quote to back this up, but I'm remembering discussion from somewhere that monsters wouldn't be tied as tightly to HD as they are now; that you could have a tough monster without artificially bumping up its' HD. Thus, HD won't be a reliable method to base your available polymorph forms on. If there's a Polymorph: Troll and a Polymorph: Dragon and a Polymorph: Newt spell that are all at different levels, you don't have to worry about balancing multiple creatures with one spell.

I don't really LIKE it, but I don't see a better way. Maybe I'll be surprised.
PHB2 Shapeshifter Druid varient probably will be the way a lot of those work. Boost size, boost Armor, Boost STR, a few abilties granted by the spell and caster picks his overall appearance.

Last edited:

F5

Explorer
frankthedm said:
With all that is being said about 'class roles' casters will not become hitters with a few spells anymore. And given what has been said about MM monsters specificly intened to NOT be for PC hands, Spell compendium's & PhB2's Spells and Varients are the writing on the wall.

<snip>

frankthedm said:
PHB2 Shapeshifter Druid varient probably will be the way a lot of those work. Boost size, boost Armor, Boost STR, a few abilties granted by the spell and caster picks his overall appearance.

Hmm...you're probably right. You have a spell that can make you big, like a giant, and strong, like a giant, but won't actually make you BECOME (flip to p.37 of the MM and look up stats) a giant.

This, more than a list of separate spells for different available forms, keeps things simple.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads