Pop-Up Terrain: Is This The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread?

I've just backed a Kickstarter campaign -- and it's not a cheap one ($290 for the full set) -- for fold-away-pop-up terrain. If you're familiar with pop-up books, you'll get the idea. There's four sets - Ancient, Dungeon, Cathedral, and Obsidian (which is a sci-fi set), all with 1-inch grids. Each set is made of a number of tiles which can be swapped out should you want to put trees in your...

I've just backed a Kickstarter campaign -- and it's not a cheap one ($290 for the full set) -- for fold-away-pop-up terrain. If you're familiar with pop-up books, you'll get the idea.

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.05.24 PM.png

There's four sets - Ancient, Dungeon, Cathedral, and Obsidian (which is a sci-fi set), all with 1-inch grids. Each set is made of a number of tiles which can be swapped out should you want to put trees in your dungeon, and the 3D structures are strong enough to hold the weight of miniatures, allowing you to stand them on roofs and other structures.

b9109037bf25951f626176f467c94f1d_original.gif

As I mentioned, it's not cheap. $290 for the full set, or $100 for a single set. Technically you're getting three sets for $290, but they're giving away the fourth, Obsidian Zone, for free as a stretch goal. There's also a bunch of small terrain pieces (crates, rune circles, trees, rivers, etc. available as stretch goals).

Now I just need the pandemic to end, as terrain and miniatures aren't much use on Zoom!

DarthPanic

Explorer
Looks great and I think its pricing is fair for a board of that size. That said, I considered it but decided against it, as even from the videos the buildings seem to wobble, and I'm afraid that constant use will deteriorate them. Also, fixed positions of terrain pieces its not optimal for repetitive gaming . But I wish them all the luck

TheSword

Legend
Loving this terrain. A really smart idea, particularly for 40k players like me that play a couple of times a year and don’t have the space. A couple of choice barricades etc would work really well with this set.

pogre

Legend
I use terrain and miniatures on Zoom all the time. I just set up a second camera (phone). It's kind of cool, because sometimes you can set up entire encounters ahead of time and just move your camera around the table for the current "scene." Just a thought.

On topic - these are cool and for usable portable terrain seems like a worthwhile investment.

Von Ether

Legend
This one was much cheaper and more modular, but it was also more DIY. It was popular enough to a second KS.

But for saving space and ease of setup, pop up terrain needs more love.

Remove ads

Remove ads