Portland, Oregon

Justin

Explorer
Hi all,

I'm going to Portland next Friday through Sunday, mainly because Richard Dawkins is speaking on his latest book, The God Delusion, at Powell's Friday night. However, I'm also considering moving to the Pacific Northwest next fall (at the earliest). Does anyone who lives or has lived there have any advice on what to do and see while I'm there? I arrive Friday afternoon (should be to my hotel by 1:30pm at the latest) and will probably go to Powell's around 4 or 5, with Dawkins's talk starting at 7:30. I've heard Powell's is an amazing place and I do so love bookstores. Also, my return flight is at 1pm Sunday and I'm staying right near the airport, so Sunday morning will be short but a good suggestion for breakfast would be appreciated.

As for Saturday, though, my day is wide open. I had planned on just driving around to see if it's a city I'd like to live near. I generally don't like living directly in big cities, but living on the periphery is okay. One thing I want to do is find a really good lush dirt trail to go running (maybe Oxbow park?) but I'm open to suggestions on things to do and areas to see.

Thanks,
Justin

Mycanid

First Post
Yes, yes, yes. Powell's IS an amazing place. Stupendous selection. I have found things there I haven't found anywhere else - online or otherwise.

'Fraid it's the only place I can recommend off the top of my head unless you are into Lewis and Clark type history. The Columbia river is right nearby and is very lovely ... possibly a way to spend a lazy afternoon. I don't doubt that Autumn is still in bloom very nicely up there.

The only one (enworlder that is) I remember who mentioned they were in Portland was Sniffles. Perhaps she will pop up and say something.

Justin

Explorer
Mycanid said:
'Fraid it's the only place I can recommend off the top of my head unless you are into Lewis and Clark type history. The Columbia river is right nearby and is very lovely ... possibly a way to spend a lazy afternoon. I don't doubt that Autumn is still in bloom very nicely up there.

History and culture are not really what I'm interested in. but rather having a comfortable place to live with a lot of outdoors things to do, but what I really want is Green. I live near Boulder, Colorado and it just feels so barren here. Mountains are nice but I miss Virginia's trees and trails (but not it's weather...east coast winters suck; OTOH we've had snow twice this week, including last night, and I've been wearing a t-shirt today).

The only one (enworlder that is) I remember who mentioned they were in Portland was Sniffles. Perhaps she will pop up and say something.

Actually, according to his profile, Sepulchrave lives there. :D

Mycanid

First Post
If you like GREEN then something you might consider is moving south of Portland to Eugene, Oregon. It is a BEAUTIFUL place. A college town with quite a few things going on, I am told. I have many personal friends in both Eugene and Portland, so whenever I visit I go to their houses and spend time with them. We don't usually "go out and do things" per se.

BUT I do remember Eugene being quite beautiful. Further south towards the northern California border there is Ashland. It is also very beautiful and I have heard others say that there are many "wildernessy" things to do around there. But I have also heard it has a high cost of living. I mainly go there either when stopping on my way to or from Eugene/Portland OR when going to their excellent Shakespeare festival....

Anyhoo. :)

Aurora

First Post
I miss the west coast so much. I think in a few months when I go home to Southern CA, I am gonna see about driving up to Northern CA and into Oregon. It is so beautiful up there. Have fun!

Justin

Explorer
Mycanid said:
If you like GREEN then something you might consider is moving south of Portland to Eugene, Oregon. It is a BEAUTIFUL place. A college town with quite a few things going on, I am told. I have many personal friends in both Eugene and Portland, so whenever I visit I go to their houses and spend time with them. We don't usually "go out and do things" per se.

BUT I do remember Eugene being quite beautiful. Further south towards the northern California border there is Ashland. It is also very beautiful and I have heard others say that there are many "wildernessy" things to do around there. But I have also heard it has a high cost of living. I mainly go there either when stopping on my way to or from Eugene/Portland OR when going to their excellent Shakespeare festival....

Anyhoo. :)

@Mycanid,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Based on what you said, I would now like to see Eugene. Unfortunately, four hours of driving just to get there and back is too much since I only have one full day. Hopefully I will be able to take another trip in a few months. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind and if you know:

1. What are winters like in Oregon?
2. All of my family lives around Tampa/St. Pete, Florida (except my sister in Atlanta, GA). What would flying there entail? Would I need to drive 2 hours to Portland to get a decent flight?
3. What is the IT job market like (I'm a Unix System Adminstrator)? I've heard the Portland area is often called the "Silicon Forest" and that name really excites the techie and nature-lover in me.

Everyone is free to respond, if you so desire! :)

Thanks,
Justin

Xyanthon

First Post
I think there are a lot of great things to do in Portland. The Saturday market is pretty cool if you like to go to farmer's markets, see live music, and whatnot. There is all kinds of hiking to do in the mountains, fishing, kyaking. If you like skiing, well there is that too. I moved to Japan from Seattle about a year ago, but I went to Portland a few times for extended business trips and absolutely loved it. I hope that in the next year or two to come back to Seattle or Portland.

I havent spent much time in Portland over the winter but it seemed to be similar to Seattle (ave 45-50 degrees and rainy - which is mostly drizzle not downpour type rain). I really miss the PNW just so much great stuff to do and friendly people.

P.S. there is a pretty good market for UNIX types all over the PNW (even in Seattle). I'm a Windows Sys Admin that prefers UNIX/Linux. The PNW is Windows saturated (that is why I'm in Japan right now) but if my UNIX chops had been a little better I would have been able to find a 60k+ job fairly easily.

Last edited:

Justin

Explorer
Justin said:
2. All of my family lives around Tampa/St. Pete, Florida (except my sister in Atlanta, GA). What would flying there entail? Would I need to drive 2 hours to Portland to get a decent flight?

I answered my own question, thanks to Orbitz and Google Maps. There are no direct flights from PDX to TPA, and EUG to PDX is a 40 minute flight, but with the general need for getting to airports early, it would be better to just drive the 2 hours from Eugene to Portland and catch the flight there, then spend about 6 hours plus layover time flying to Tampa. Yuck! :(

Remove ads