Portland, Oregon

Priest_Sidran

First Post
Aurora said:
I miss the west coast so much. I think in a few months when I go home to Southern CA, I am gonna see about driving up to Northern CA and into Oregon. It is so beautiful up there. Have fun!

This is the best time of the year to go through Northern CA (I am from Redding) because It is cooler.

As for the Question their are a number of small cities near by Portland that are with in good driving distance, My Cousin just moved up that way. And winters are mainly mild and rainny

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Priest_Sidran said:
This is the best time of the year to go through Northern CA (I am from Redding) because It is cooler.
I can attest to that. Probably much cooler now than a month and a half ago. I visited the bay area at the beginning of September with my family. If you plan on stopping anywhere on the coast overnight and like to take walks be sure to pack a windbreaker.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I used to live in Olympia, WA, an hour south of Seattle and two hours north of Portland. We went to Portland to hang out a lot more often than we went to Seattle, because it was just so much cooler. But unfortunately I can't remember anywhere except Powell's that we went.

Cougar Hot Springs is reportedly a great free natural hot spring site. If you're wanting to take a day trip,t his one would involve a fair amount of driving, but could be worth it.

If you're thinking of moving to the region, decide whether you can deal with not seeing the sun for weeks at a time. I thought I could. I was wrong. My theory is that if you have a sweetie to curl up with and hibernate with all winter, it's a lot easier to survive.

Daniel

Xyanthon

First Post
Heh, I migrated to Seattle from the midwest. I had all kinds of misconceptions about the rain and weather there. I thought that I would be very put off by it, but it was not at all what I'd expected. The rain is really more of a drizzle (but it does last from late Oct through May). It does get dark early (I would leave for work in the morning in the winter and the sun wouldn't come up until 8 and by the time I got off work at 4:30, the sun would be setting). It is pretty much grey all winter. I'm not sure if Portland is quite as dark and rainy. It took me a bit to get adjusted, but after the first year, I really LOVED the weather. I could get out and about in the winter as it wasn't as cold as Missouri. There was all kinds of hiking and outdoor things to do year round. The summer in Seattle (indeed, the entire PNW) is unbelievably beautiful. I consider Seattle to be my home even though I'm a transplant (my son was born there). So someday I hope to return (like I said either to Seattle or Portland - they are both great places).

EDIT

How could I forget the hotsprings? There are lots of them. Just so much to do outdoors. Gaming-wise, I NEVER was at a loss for good gaming. There is a rather large Con that happens in Portland every year. I've never been but several of my buddies did and they always had a great time.

Justin

Explorer
Many thanks to you all! More and more this is sounding like a place I would love to live. I am so looking forward to this weekend! All of your comments and suggestions are of immense value to me.

The biggest impediments to moving are work and travel. I have the best job of my career right now (though my career, at 8 years, is still in its childhood), and travelling to Florida from the PNW would suck. But I cannot see myself living in Colorado for the rest of my life, or even another five years.

At any rate, it would be at least a year before any move would happen (though obviously planning and interviewing would have to start much sooner). And I would definitely want to visit there a few times (hopefully for a whole week next spring) before making a decision. I eseentially made the decision to move from Virginia to Colorado last year based on a 3-day weekend to visit friends here back in May 2002, but at least this past year has given me the opportunity to reflect on what I have liked and disliked about both Virginia and Colorado and to use that information to determine what I would like. (Florida sucks, period. I lived there for 20 years and I'm only 32.)

By the way, does anyone have a good suggestion for trail running? My hotel is right outside PDX airport and the best time for me to go would be Saturday morning (and possibly Sunday, too). FWIW, I love dirt trails and dense tree cover, and a 5-10 mile loop would be ideal.

Oh, and while I'm not gaming now, I've tried a few times in recent years but it never really took (I haven't gamed extensively since high school). Based on Xyanthon's comments, perhaps I'd also be able to find a gaming group (D&D or Shadowrun) that I really mesh with.

Thanks again, everyone! Keep the talk coming if you want. I'll be paying attention, I promise! :D

Justin

Aurora

First Post
Priest_Sidran said:

I almost went to a university in Redding straight out of HS. (I am from San Diego) Redding is beautiful.

Priest_Sidran

First Post
Aurora said:
I almost went to a university in Redding straight out of HS. (I am from San Diego) Redding is beautiful.

It can be, unless its summer.

Its nice living next to the lakes and Mt. Lassen, and Shasta though.

Xyanthon

First Post
Justin,

I'll ask my wife if she still has her Oregon Loop hikes book. She lived in Oregon for a few years and loves it alot. I'm pretty sure that you should be able to find some trails around Mt. Hood (you can see it from the airport). Are you going to have a rental car? The type of trails that you suggest are pretty easily found throughout the PNW. Unfortunately, I'm more familiar with Seattle and the Northern Cascades but I know from my friends (who pretty much hike/bike/backpack/kyak/ski/climb every nook and cranny in the PNW) that there is some good hiking in the area. Also, if you don't have a car, the public transit is AWSOME. That is one thing I really think Portland has over Seattle. You can pretty much get where ever you want in a timely fashion by bus or rail. Portland also has a good Japanese Garden and Zoo, so if that is your thing, go check it out. Have fun!

Tewligan

First Post
Hm - coincidentally enough, I may actually be moving to Eugene in the not-too-distant future. Have you heard from your friends whether there's a decent amount of / any gamers and game stores in the area? I told my girlfriend we can't move there if there's not enough nerdery for me to indulge in, and neither one of us is sure if I'm serious or not...

Mycanid said:
If you like GREEN then something you might consider is moving south of Portland to Eugene, Oregon. It is a BEAUTIFUL place. A college town with quite a few things going on, I am told. I have many personal friends in both Eugene and Portland, so whenever I visit I go to their houses and spend time with them. We don't usually "go out and do things" per se.

Remove ads