D&D 5E Potential House Rule for More Wild Magic

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I have a Wild Magic sorcerer in my current campaign. I have a wild magic surge trigger whenever:

• She rolls a natural 1 on a spell attack
• A creature rolls a natural 20 on a saving throw against one of her spells
• She loses concentration on a spell

Makes it feel like a mishap, even though more surge effects are beneficial or neutral than harmful.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
As said, Tides of Chaos lets you and the player have surges as often as you want.

1. Player gives themself advantage with TOC.
2. The next leveled spell they cast, they can surge (your choice). That also resets TOC.
3. see step 1.

Step 2 requires player buy-in (they are choosing to cast a leveled spell aftert they'vbe played godling with fate), and can be limited by the DM (who can make the surge the default, or make it happen any time the player isn't talking about surging, or whatever). But there shouldn't be a shortage, and that then lets them give themself advantage again.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
My last wild mage wanted to surge. I just told him to roll every time, sometimes even on cantrips. The group loved it

That is what we're doing! And maybe we're a statistical anomaly, but not one surge yet!

On the other hand, the first time someone tried to use a scroll of a too high level there was a mishap!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
even though more surge effects are beneficial or neutral than harmful.

I actually have a few different wild surge result tables (adapted from 2E) and i have the player roll the percentiles and then I choose which result of that number from the table with the result that is most interesting in the moment or most appropriate to the situation. Or at least, I would do that, except as I said above. . . no surges in over a year of play!

Remove ads