Potential Positive Outcomes of the OGL Fiasco (+)

Aldarc

Legend
This is a Plus thread. I would like to keep this thread positive.

Let's talk about some potential positive outcomes that may result from this OGL ordeal, whether that is OGL 1.1 or 2.0. These may not be obvious outcomes. They may be secondary outcomes. But let's talk about what positive benefits may come out of an overall negatively-charged situation.

I think that this will cause some content creators and players to try playing and/or running more games outside of WotC D&D.

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
I am excited to see what MCDM’s game looks like. I have loved all of their content, but there’s been some definite points of friction between their design and the design of 5E, and I’m excited to see what they can do with a more blank slate.

delericho

Legend
I think the overall impact will be hugely negative, even in the best case. However, the one good thing I can see coming of this is that hopefully the no-longer-3pp will move away from being 90%+ about supporting D&D (or doing D&D-like games), and instead become much more diverse in their offering.

I think that this will cause some content creators and players to try playing and/or running more games outside of WotC D&D.
This (it would be nice if we could go a bit back in time to where official D&D was the largest player, but didn't dominate the market completely). And I hope that, with the ORC, we get an open license with broad adoption that is outside corporate control.

gweinel

Explorer
We see hundreds if not thousands gamers (mostly gamemasters and many creators) looking right now a multitude of game systems and rpg companies for their new games.
I am one of them and I feel both excited and liberated!

Last edited:

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
As others have written, the fact that the RPG=D&D frame already is broken and lots and lots of players are reaching out and investigating other games is a major win in itself. Even if many stay with D&D in the end, they will still know that there are options, for fantasy and for a multitude of genres and styles.

Remove ads