Potential Wizard Combo

Kulron

First Post
So I was perusing the PHB, specifically the wizard class, and came across something when looking at the blood mage path.

First I will list the 4 abilities/features that pertain to the combo then try and explain it in hopes that it actually works (kind of a long explanation so bear with me :cool: ):

Arcane Gate 10th level utility
You open a dimensional rift connecting two nearby locations.
Daily Arcane, Teleportation
Minor Action Ranged 20
Target: Two unoccupied squares
Effect: You create a dimensional rift between the two target squares that lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that enters one of the target squares can move to the other target square as if it were adjacent to that square. A creature cannot pass through the rift if either square is occupied by another creature.
Sustain Minor: The rift persists.

Bolstering Blood 11th level feature
You learn to turn your own pain into additional pain for your enemies. When you use a wizard encounter power, a wizard daily power, or a blood mage power that deals damage, you can, once per turn as a free action just prior to using the power, deal either a minor wound or a severe wound to yourself. A minor wound deals 1d10 damage to you. A severe wound deals 2d10 damage to you. When the power you use damages a target, you deal extra psychic damage equal to the damage you dealt to yourself.

Blood Pulse 11th level attack
Encounter Arcane, Implement
Standard Action Area burst 3 within 20 squares
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier damage, and until the end of your next turn the target takes 1d6 damage for every square it leaves.

Blood Action 11th level feature
When you spend an action point to take an extra action, if you use your action to make an attack that hits, that attack deals 10 ongoing damage (save ends).

Spectral Ram 7th level attack
Encounter Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier force damage, and you push the target 3 squares and it is knocked prone.

So basically my plan was to start off by casting Arcane Gate as a minor action putting one of the gates 3 squares behind the targeted enemy, then the other gate 20 squares in the air. (I believe this is possible because it does not specify a solid surface and from what it seems like height is meaured in squares now.)

Then activate the Bolstering Blood feature as a free action for 2d10 extra damage (not necessary but why not may as well get more damage in here). Then use your standard action to cast Blood Pulse, including the targeted enemy in the area.

Following that with an action point for a standard action.

Use the standard action to cast Spectral Ram pushing the target back 3 squares and into the Arcane Gate. The target then pops through the other gate and begins falling the 20 squares to the ground. Since height is measured in squares Blood Pulse should be hitting him every 5 feet of falling. Also, falling damage is 1d10 per 10 feet.

So in total the damage would be:
Bolstering Blood: +2d10 psychic damage
Blood Pulse: +2d6+Int+23d6(3 square push, 20 square fall)
Use of action point: 10 ongoing damage (Blood Action)
Spectral Ram: +2d10+Int
Fall Damage: 10d10 (100 foot fall)
Totaling this up we get 25d6+14d10+2xInt+10 ongoing all at level 11!

Critique away, although I hope there is nothing to call out :D

mattdm

First Post
Kulron said:
Arcane Gate 10th level utility
You open a dimensional rift connecting two nearby locations.
Daily Arcane, Teleportation
Minor Action Ranged 20
Target: Two unoccupied squares
Effect: You create a dimensional rift between the two target squares that lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that enters one of the target squares can move to the other target square as if it were adjacent to that square. A creature cannot pass through the rift if either square is occupied by another creature.
Sustain Minor: The rift persists.

Kulron said:
Use the standard action to cast Spectral Ram pushing the target back 3 squares and into the Arcane Gate. The target then pops through the other gate and begins falling the 20 squares to the ground.

Only if he really wants to.

Kulron

First Post
Ah yes, I saw that too but when I thought about it I think the "can" is there to show that creatures can move through the square occupied by the portal without going through it, however if they were to move through the actual portal they would be transported.

The way I look at it is that a portal is a flat upright circle in the square, since it only occupies a small space within the square a creature moving through the said square could avoid the portal, however if one were to be pushed into the portal I think that they would go through it.

Sojorn

First Post
Teleportation keyword on the gate spell. I'd say that'd mean it'd qualify for the standard rules of teleportation including that the port to spot be on a solid surface.

The rules of the gate say nothing about violating this fundamental rule of teleportation, so they have no specific that trumps the general.

Traken

First Post
You can occupy one of the squares the gate is in without going to the other gate. It has to be a voluntary action.

Kulron

First Post
Ah man, thought I had something here hehe. I hadn't look through all the PHB yet just something I noticed while looking at the wizard stuff. Thanks for the swift replies though.

O well, Blood Pulse still looks like fun with the various AoE push spells mages get (I'm looking at you Thunderlance). Also another thing came to my mind is that Gauntlets of the Ram look fun with these type of Blood + Push shenanigans.

Kunimatyu

First Post
It's hilarious seeing the optimizers fling themselves at 4e and fall back, dazed(save ends). :)

Also -- that rift power is really neat! I hope wizards have more trick spells like that. :)

fnwc

Explorer
No, I don't think this works. As others have said, I think movement into the gate is optional.

What's more interesting to me is whether Bolstering Blood stacks with the extra damage from Blood Pulse (i.e., 1d6 + [additional Bolstering Blood damage] damage for every square it leaves)

Remove ads