Potion of Healing or Potion of Cure Light Wounds?

Which magic item name do you prefer?

• Potion of Cure Light Wounds

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Potion of Healing

Votes: 66 50.4%
  • No strong opinion one way or the other

Votes: 32 24.4%

The Shaman

First Post
Back in Ye Goode Olde Daze, a magical concoction with curative properties was known as a potion of healing. In the latest incarnation of Dungeons and Dragons, potion names have been changed to reflect the spell upon which the potion is based, so that now we have a potion of cure light wounds instead.

Do you prefer names like potion of cure light wounds and potion of haste to potion of healing and potion of speed?

I like descriptive names, like Healing and Speed, over generic spell names for potions. Of course, even using the spell names for potions, nothings going to stop anyone from calling potions whatever they want in a game. I still refer to potions of CLW as Healing Potions in my game.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I don't really care either way (what's in a name?) but I try to refer to things by their actual names. "Potion of Cure Light Wounds" is descriptive enough, I think. It's a potion that cures light wounds.

Also, the characters know the names of spells--it's perfectly valid to ask the Cleric for a cure light wounds spell to be cast upon yourself. Why shouldn't potions be treated the same way?

Pinotage

Explorer
I prefer OOC to call them as they currently are. In game, however, they're rarely refered to as such, but more along the lines of a healing potion, minor curative, or a liquid that may boost your speed. Characters rarely refer to spells by name, mostly just describing their effects.

Pinotage

KB9JMQ

First Post
I prefer the term healing potion but it doesnt matter.
My players refer to them both ways in and out of character.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
How about:
Scratchmend Brandy (Potion of Cure Light Wounds)
Knifewound Cocktail (Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds)
Cureall Elixir (Potion of cure serious wounds)

Daniel

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
To me and my group, a potion of cure light wounds is just that, but a potion of healing could be a potion of cure light wounds, a potion of cure moderate wounds, etc.

All of them are healing potions. Some are just stronger.

BlueBlackRed said:
To me and my group, a potion of cure light wounds is just that, but a potion of healing could be a potion of cure light wounds, a potion of cure moderate wounds, etc.

All of them are healing potions. Some are just stronger.

There ya go.

There's also regional / religious variants to consider.

Priests of one religion or another may sell you "Martyr's Blood," while another might peddle "Jackdaw's Miraculous Cureall."

Teemu

Hero
Shaman, your question is a little poorly constructed.

I prefer the current names when assigning treasure and explaining (OOC) what each item is. But in the game, potion of healing and the rest make more sense.

Remove ads