Potion of Healing or Potion of Cure Light Wounds?

Which magic item name do you prefer?

• Potion of Cure Light Wounds

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Potion of Healing

Votes: 66 50.4%
  • No strong opinion one way or the other

Votes: 32 24.4%

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Potion of CLW or [any other spell name]. I want to know what it is and what it does without having to go look it up every time.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Typically, when I was dming, I called them potions of healing, because that is what I handed out: potions that heal. Oh, sure they may have different potencies, but they all heal. I seldom even mentioned to the players what kind of potion of healing they got (though it's pretty easy for them to figure out). If they used one, they'd have to tell me the description of the potion they're drinking: the milky, blue potion of healing in the cut glass vial (cure light wounds), the turquoise blue potion of healing in the silver chased vial (cure moderate wounds), etc. It seems to add to the atmosphere and hasn't interfered with the game flow yet.

I prefer more descriptive names but that raises an age-old problem of how to describe healing potions of different levels (healing, extra healing, super-duper healing???), which usually ends up with even sillier names than the "proper" ones.

To me, it's just a game simplification.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
In my group, we call them healing potions unless it's important what gauge of healing spell they duplicate. Sometimes we still call them "light healing" and "critical healing" though.

Kuld

Explorer
Potion of (extra) healing and healing potion. There’s a difference too.

Potions of ---- Do 1d8+1, 2d8+2, etc...
Healing potion heals per the cleric spell Heal-Max HP restored

Last edited:

Remove ads