Potion of Healing or Potion of Cure Light Wounds?

Which magic item name do you prefer?

• Potion of Cure Light Wounds

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Potion of Healing

Votes: 66 50.4%
  • No strong opinion one way or the other

Votes: 32 24.4%

Oryan77

Adventurer
We say both. "Gotta get us some healing potions.....how much for the cure light wounds?" "Cool, we found some healing potions. One is a Cure Light Wounds & the other is a Cure Moderate Wounds".

freebfrost

Explorer
I agree that it helps keep track of what the items actually are, as Teemu stated, but for in game flavor, I prefer using Potion of Healing or other less-crunchy descriptions.

Likewise, I never hand out generic +2 keen swords - items like that are always singularly made items with other features and powers.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Aesthetically, Potion of Healing is better.

However, Potion of Healing isn't descriptive enough for the actual name of the potion just like Sword of Chaos is a great aesthetic name, but Sword +2, Anarchic is a better for the rules-set to use. So, I voted Potion of Cure Light Wounds on those grounds.

harmyn

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
Aesthetically, Potion of Healing is better.

However, Potion of Healing isn't descriptive enough for the actual name of the potion just like Sword of Chaos is a great aesthetic name, but Sword +2, Anarchic is a better for the rules-set to use. So, I voted Potion of Cure Light Wounds on those grounds.

Excellent point, but I voted for Potion of Healing because while it may fit more neatly with the mechanical aspect of the game it really grates the reality of the world in-game. And I never have any NPC refer to weapons as a magical "+" in game. So for me it would be a "Chaos Sword, forged by damned dwarven slave-smiths for use during the Western Crusades by the honored of the Grey Legion" or some such thing.

But that's just me.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
we say "healing potion". ;) it's all the same difference (as long as you're paying attention to which spell is on it).

ThirdWizard

First Post
harmyn said:
Excellent point, but I voted for Potion of Healing because while it may fit more neatly with the mechanical aspect of the game it really grates the reality of the world in-game. And I never have any NPC refer to weapons as a magical "+" in game. So for me it would be a "Chaos Sword, forged by damned dwarven slave-smiths for use during the Western Crusades by the honored of the Grey Legion" or some such thing.

But that's just me.

Right, but the book should list it as "Sword +3, Anarchic" not "Chaos Sword". And, when the PC find the "Chaos Sword" the DM should go *nudge nudge* it's really a Sword +3, Anarchic. Because if the names of what are now Potions of Cure Light Wounds and Cure Moderate Wounds both merely Potion of Healing, and the PCs find a cache of 12 Potions of Healing, some of which heal 1d8+1 and others 2d8+3, there will be more confusion and more difficult record keeping than if they found 5 Potions of CLW and 7 potions of CMW.

I'm voting the way the potion should be written down in the players' notes. (IMO)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well yeah, i mean my dwarf has a +1 axiomatic light mace on his character sheet, but we refer to it as the "lawful mace" and we have "goggles of night" that we call "night vision goggles". ;)

ThirdWizard said:
Because if the names of what are now Potions of Cure Light Wounds and Cure Moderate Wounds both merely Potion of Healing, and the PCs find a cache of 12 Potions of Healing, some of which heal 1d8+1 and others 2d8+3, there will be more confusion and more difficult record keeping than if they found 5 Potions of CLW and 7 potions of CMW.

Well, you could always call them Potion of Healing and Potion of Extra Healing. :)

Numion

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I like descriptive names, like Healing and Speed, over generic spell names for potions. Of course, even using the spell names for potions, nothings going to stop anyone from calling potions whatever they want in a game. I still refer to potions of CLW as Healing Potions in my game.

Potion of Cure Light Wounds is IMO more descriptive than Potion of Healing. Basically curing and healing is the same meaning, but there is the additional description of 'light' :\

Remove ads