D&D 5E Potions and concentration

Potions don't require concentration. Mike Mearls said on Twitter that (by default) potions of spells that require concentration still require concentration, however, every single potion that this would affect overrides that rule by stating that no concentration is required.

brehobit

Explorer
Potions don't require concentration. Mike Mearls said on Twitter that (by default) potions of spells that require concentration still require concentration, however, every single potion that this would affect overrides that rule by stating that no concentration is required.

Ah, that helps. Could you point me to the thread? And I was wondering how heroism worked wrt the bless... I don't _think_ it has such a statement...

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Because it really can't be said often enough, and Mike forgets to periodically repeat it himself: Mike Mearls doesn't give "rules as intended" answers when you ask him rules questions (even when he says "I think the intent was...", that's still not him giving any kind of "official" answer), you have to ask Jeremy Crawford the question to get those because that's his to decide. Mike just tells you what he'd do at his own table as a DM, or what he thinks would work out well enough if you were to do it at your table.

CapnZapp

Legend
To clarify:

Potions* DO require concentration, unless they specifically tell you otherwise.

The fact that every such potion does tell you otherwise, doesn't mean the "potions don't require concentration" statement is generally true. Otherwise the potion descriptions would not have to repeat the "no concentration" statement every time. :)

*) Potions replicating the effects of spells that normally requires concentration, that is.

BoldItalic

First Post
This gives me an idea ...

Potion of Concentration (Uncommonly Rare)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

Drinking this thick, milky liquid allows one half of your brain to sustain concentration spells without the other half having to think about it. The effect of this potion ends if you take damage (no saving throw applies), or are incapacitated or killed.

Okay, it's not a very good idea, but some players might fall for it. If their PC fails a Wisdom(Insight) save :-S

Remove ads