D&D 5E Potions of spells which require concentration

wedgeski

Adventurer
This. Potions are not just "bottled spells" in 5e. They do their own thing. The fact they often have similar effects to spells does not mean they act like spells or follow any of the rules that govern spells.
Yes, this is how I see it as well. A potion is not just another way to cast a spell, it's its own beast.

Ketser

First Post
Both potions of invisibility and flying are listed as very rare items in the DM supplement for basic rules, sot it considerably limits the availability of them.

The character/party can use it to gain a concentration-free flight or invis. But then it will help them this one encounter and after that, it will take some time for them to get a new one.

seebs

Adventurer
Yeah, I think part of the confusion may be coming from the 3E thing where potions were just spells. They're not spells now.

Both potions of invisibility and flying are listed as very rare items in the DM supplement for basic rules, sot it considerably limits the availability of them.

I really hope there is some sort of note in the DMG that treats rare consumable items differently than rare permanent items. I don't care what metric you are using, a potion of invisibility should not be as difficult to create or as valuable as +2 plate armor.

baradtgnome

First Post
I really hope there is some sort of note in the DMG that treats rare consumable items differently than rare permanent items. I don't care what metric you are using, a potion of invisibility should not be as difficult to create or as valuable as +2 plate armor.

I certainly agree with that (even though it was not the thread topic)

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
If there is such a rule (which would be extremely reasonable) it's not in the section about crafting items in the downtime rules.

CapnZapp

Legend
Last adventure my character went to zero hp while invisible. 2nd level spell from potion. This raised the question I had not considered - does the imbiber of a potion have to concentrate on the spell if that spell normally requires same?

I only have the basic rules at the moment, not sure if this questioned is answered anywhere. I get the implications both ways. Just wanted to know if there was a rule somewhere on this... or is this a ruling. :)
An old question, but still a valid one.

The answer is that potions aren't spells. In those cases where the potion references a specific spell, the DMG text goes out of its way to say "concentration not required".

Of course, since potions can be drunk by anyone this makes perfect sense, or spellcasters would be heavily penalized whereas fightery types would not.

After all, a Fighter have no other use of his "concentration", so having to concentrate on the potion would be essentially free for him; whilst still potentially crippling for the wizard.

Making potions equally attractive for everyone is only good, I say!

As for the (very valid) concern that potions are backdooring in the buff-up before you attack playstyle, that's where the Potion Miscibility table comes in! :)

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Pfff! I think when you drink the potion, it forces the caster who created the potion -no matter how far away he is- to start concentrating on the spell. Now, it'd be up to him to keep it going or not.

"Hmm, someone finally drank one of my invisibility potions that I left in that dungeon four years ago. Should I let him stay invisible, or make him visible... now! Mwahaha!"

I mean, I won't run 5e, but if I ever played with a GM who did this, I would probably laugh (and never, ever use potions).

As for the (very valid) concern that potions are backdooring in the buff-up before you attack playstyle, that's where the Potion Miscibility table comes in! :)
"Permanently enlarged?! Sweet!"

Just kidding. I'm seriously looking forward to using that table in play though.

Remove ads