D&D 5E Potions of spells which require concentration

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Rules as written, a potion requires concentration. See page 141 of the DMG:

In other words, you'd be stuck concentrating. I kind of get the flavour here - if you're invisible, and you get hit, you have to try to focus on the invisibility, lest you lose the magic (or, if it's a sillier game, burp it out).

honestly, though, I think the potion miscibility table is a better balancer. We've houseruled that potions do not require concentration, but that the table it always rolled on (and I've put together a slightly different table than that in the DMG, so that players have no idea of the odds of good vs. bad results).

That is a key word given "concentration" is listed under duration. Glad you pointed that out. That does indicate that for a potion that utilizes a spell effect, concentration is required.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Just want to mention that later products from Wotc like there Adventures call out that the potions don't require concentration.

What later modules? Tyranny of Dragons was made before the DMG and Monster Manual were complete. Does Princes of Apocalypse state potions don't require concentration?

What later modules? Tyranny of Dragons was made before the DMG and Monster Manual were complete. Does Princes of Apocalypse state potions don't require concentration?
The updated online supplements all have the same text on potions based on concentration spells.

http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/HoardDragonQueen_Supplement_PF_v0.3.pdf
Potion of Gaseous Form
Potion, rare
When you drink this potion, you gain the effect of
the gaseous form spell for 1 hour (no concentration
required) or until you end the effect as a bonus action.
This potion’s container seems to hold fog that moves
and pours like water

http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/RiseTiamatSupplementv0.2_Printer.pdf
Potion of Growth
Potion, uncommon
When you drink this potion, you gain the “enlarge”
effect of the enlarge/reduce spell for 1d4 hours (no
concentration required). The red in the potion’s liquid
continuously expands from a tiny bead to color the clear
liquid around it and then contracts. Shaking the bottle
fails to interrupt this process.

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/PrincesApocalypse_AdvSupplementv1.0_PrinterFriendly.pdf
Potion of Speed
Potion, very rare
When you drink this potion, you gain the effect of the
haste spell for 1 minute (no concentration required). The
potion’s yellow fluid is streaked with black and swirls
on its own.

CapnZapp

Legend
To new readers of this thread:

Yes, the rule is that you need Concentration even on potions.

But in practice you'll be well within your right as DM to hand out potions saying "Concentration not needed" since that is what all the official materials do.

CapnZapp

Legend
Ayep.

Worth noting that the potion of Flying doesn't mention concentration nor the Fly spell.
Yes. There are lot of people more inclined to bring over old d20 rules than actually reading the 5e rules here... ;)

There's no general rule that potions require concentration.

Only if the potion references a spell, and that spell requires concentration, and the potion description doesn't explicitly negate this, do your potion require concentration. :)

I'm sure there is such a potion to be found somewhere in the official published material, but as of right now, most (if not all) official potions do not require concentration.

Which brings us back to why I resurrected this thread: "Potion Miscibility - does the game need it?" :)

Ranes

Adventurer
I can't believe that no one has yet asked the obvious question.

Why did the fighter stare at the potion?

It said 'concentrate' on the bottle.

Ugh. :blush:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord

A specific rule would trump a non-specific rule. Those specific potions don't require concentration. That doesn't mean all potions don't require concentration. I think one of the ones in the DMG that does gives Detect thoughts.

Remove ads