• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Potions restoring spell slots?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
They seem like they would be quite powerful to have around, but would extend the casters to more encounters. I might suggest a minor potion to grant 1d4 levels of spells and a major one to grant 1d6+1. Then let the player choose what spells and if he wants a few low level or one high level, depending on his roll.
Conversely, at many tables the number of encounters per day is mostly under control of the DM and will likely stay the same. So it will allow the casters to nova more in the same number of encounters.

It's like scrolls, but with more flexibility. I do get a little wary when resource-limited classes are given more resources, but at-will primary classes aren't given more rounds of combat so that they can do more as well.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
I played in a homebrew campaign that had those. Initially i thought it was a cool idea, but later on when we became very rich, we bought a lot of those potions and the spell casters were just spamming big spells all the time, while I'm here counting my superiority dice and hoping we get a short rest later to get back my Action Surge and Second Wind.

Would be great if martials get a potion to recover their abilities as well, but it does sound hard to implement.

aco175

Legend
It's like scrolls, but with more flexibility. I do get a little wary when resource-limited classes are given more resources, but at-will primary classes aren't given more rounds of combat so that they can do more as well.
If people are giving out potions to boost magic, it is not that hard to give potions that allow 1 extra attack per round or even a greater potion that grants your whole attack action. Limiting this to 1d4 or 1d6 rounds is still about the whole fight.

Like a potion of speed.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
If potions have any calories in them, this plan is going to create a breed of casters who look like Friar Tuck (the ale porter).

Blue

If people are giving out potions to boost magic, it is not that hard to give potions that allow 1 extra attack per round or even a greater potion that grants your whole attack action. Limiting this to 1d4 or 1d6 rounds is still about the whole fight.

Like a potion of speed.
To a degree. Potions that restore spell slots can be used between encounters when time to drink a potion is not a hindrance. We would need the same for martial classes.

Then we have hybrid classes like the paladin that could benefit from both, but that's not a showstopper I don't think.

Blue

Weird question: if a warlock that has two slots that casts at 3rd level, is the intention that they can or can not benefit from a slot restoration potion for 1st or 2nd level slot?

jgsugden

Legend
I've had "Power Potions" that essentially do what a Pearl of Power does, but does it once.While they technically exist on my random item tables, they have not come up in a long time and I would not favor them. Essentially, they're boring. I'd much rather have a potion that does something specific to a player than something that recharges a single ability. Why? "New is Always Better". Giving a player the capability to do something fun and unique will be more memorable than something that blends in with their normal set of abilities. A potion that polymorphs a PC into a squirrel will be more memorable than a potion that gives you a 3rd level slot back.

Oofta

Legend
I've had "Power Potions" that essentially do what a Pearl of Power does, but does it once.While they technically exist on my random item tables, they have not come up in a long time and I would not favor them. Essentially, they're boring. I'd much rather have a potion that does something specific to a player than something that recharges a single ability. Why? "New is Always Better". Giving a player the capability to do something fun and unique will be more memorable than something that blends in with their normal set of abilities. A potion that polymorphs a PC into a squirrel will be more memorable than a potion that gives you a 3rd level slot back.

I now have to have a random potion table that includes "polymorph into a squirrel" on them. Maybe give everyone in the party advantage to hit as the enemy goes "SQUIRREL!"
squirrel GIF

jgsugden

Legend
I now have to have a random potion table that includes "polymorph into a squirrel" on them. Maybe give everyone in the party advantage to hit as the enemy goes "SQUIRREL!"
squirrel GIF
THis is EXACTLY why I prefer something this distinctive to a basic 'recharge' potion.

This also applies to healing potions. Rather than just give X hps back, I prefer potions that do something more interesting to restore health - giving the user a life drain ability, regeneration, turn fire into healing, etc...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads