• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Potions restoring spell slots?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Was musing on this - I recall a feature of sme online games is finding potions that restore mana. Has anyone seen any written for D&D (any edition) that restore spell slots of points?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
World of Warcraft RPG had some, I think they restored 1d4 levels of spell slots, with greater potions adding in additional slots so that a major mana potion might be 1d4+2 and a greater mana potion would be 1d4+5. I'm not sure if those numbers would work for 5e, though I have considered including them. I might base them off the pearl of power though, ending up with something like:

Minor mana potion. Restore 1 spell slot of up to 3rd level.
Major mana potion. Restore 2 spell slots of up to 3rd level or 1 spell slot of up to 5th level.

aco175

Legend
They seem like they would be quite powerful to have around, but would extend the casters to more encounters. I might suggest a minor potion to grant 1d4 levels of spells and a major one to grant 1d6+1. Then let the player choose what spells and if he wants a few low level or one high level, depending on his roll.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Dragon Warriors, which is a system parallel to D&D from the 1980s, had a "replenishment potion", which gave the user 2d4 mana points back (you got about 4 such points per level, so a level 10 sorcerer would have about 40 mana points)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads