D&D 5E Potions

Maybe this has been discussed before, but maybe not:

In a game where the spellcasters can only maintain one buff on someone at a time, doesn't the value of potions go up considerably? If the fighter doesn't have to choose between haste and stoneskin, but can now opt for both, he's going to value that potion considerably more than he did in 3rd. Depending on the availability of potions, of course.

This leads me to suspect a "one potion active at a time" rule exists - and that might be why the beloved Potion Miscibility table has been reintroduced!

I also think that the lowered availability of permanent magic items suggests a need for more options in the temporary department, and that's where potions should come in.

CapnZapp

Legend
Maybe this has been discussed before, but maybe not:

In a game where the spellcasters can only maintain one buff on someone at a time, doesn't the value of potions go up considerably? If the fighter doesn't have to choose between haste and stoneskin, but can now opt for both, he's going to value that potion considerably more than he did in 3rd. Depending on the availability of potions, of course.

This leads me to suspect a "one potion active at a time" rule exists - and that might be why the beloved Potion Miscibility table has been reintroduced!

I also think that the lowered availability of permanent magic items suggests a need for more options in the temporary department, and that's where potions should come in.
This is an old topic, but since I can't find this sentiment being said anywhere else, let me bump it to say "I agree" :)

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
DMG p. 140 - Variant: Mixing Potions

VARIANT: MIXING POTIONS
A character might drink one potion while still under the effects of another, or pour several potions into a single container. The strange ingredients used in creating potions can result in unpredictable interactions. When a character mixes two potions together, you can roll on the Potion Miscibility table. If more than two are combined, roll again for each subsequent potion , combining the results. Unless the effects are immediately obvious, reveal them only when they become evident.

Check that out, solves the problem! You could even make a more expanded chart for more options.

Li Shenron

Legend
You also probably* have control on how common and expensive those potions are, if you are worried about stacking effects but wouldn't like to use the optional potion miscibility rules.

*not sure what is the current status on potion creation option in 5e

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases