• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power Attack Question

oldbone

First Post
Do you need to make an attack to use power attack?

Can I, at the start of my turn, shift BAB into power attack but never make an attack that action?

The wording is open to interpretation...

werk

First Post
I say yes, and it would be applied to AoO's, etc.

"On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. "

I don't see anything in there other than the stipulation that you turn it on before you make any attacks.

oldbone

First Post
Fieari: If you are a reach weapon fighter and you cannot reach yer target, perhaps you put some BAB into power attack, then move+move to get close... and whack things as they approach :)

It actually came up with the use of the Longaxe weapon.

thanks!

pawsplay

Hero
oldbone said:
Fieari: If you are a reach weapon fighter and you cannot reach yer target, perhaps you put some BAB into power attack, then move+move to get close... and whack things as they approach :)

It actually came up with the use of the Longaxe weapon.

thanks!

You should position yourself defensively, PA, then ready an action to attack. Then you get two whacks.

SlagMortar

First Post
Stalker0 said:
I wouldn't allow it as a free action thou.
Why not? The rules do not say that it takes an action. It just says "on your action before making any attack rolls." Do you find it unbalanced?

glass

(he, him)
Stalker0 said:
As long as you consume a standard action I have no problems with it. I wouldn't allow it as a free action thou.
:confused: :confused: If you require a standard action to activate PA, you could (almost) never actually use it.

glass.

Remove ads